Unit 1 Reflections

Reflection on Definition Assignment:
Once I decided on PCR as my term for the definition assignment, I knew I wanted to focus on the conciseness of the definition. This was attempted by ensuring sentences did not contain too much information and by framing the descriptions for a non-technical audience. I also arranged the order of the sections in the most logical manner possible. The transitions from the term description of PCR to parts, process, visual, and applications were aimed at the reader having the highest probability of understanding the term. A particular section that I worried about was the “parts” of the expanded definition. Since the components of PCR were technical enough to warrant their own definitions, analogies and simple words were specifically used in consideration of the reader. The visual was also a difficult section for PCR because almost all images were either excessively technical or simplified for the target audience. I ultimately decided on an image that required the least description in the figure caption. That way, readers would not have to speculate as much above or below the level of detail in the definition descriptions.

Reflection on Peer Review:
The peer review was conducted by following the provided guide document and textbook checklist. I did find both elements to be complementary as the guide was helpful in organizing my thoughts and impressions, whereas the checklist specified common errors to look for. The information from both elements were then condensed and organized into categories to be written in the report. I generally tried to point out issues that were prevalent throughout the piece rather than minor errors, as I believe the former to be more valuable feedback. I also gave suggestions on how to remedy the issues so that the author would have examples to refer to. Overall, I think the final product resulted in too much distance between the author and myself with the tone being too heavy (sorry Ashley!). That will be something to improve on in future peer reviews.

Reflection on Self-Editing:
As for the feedback I received, Jen’s suggestions were all agreeable which made the editing process simple. The only section that required extra time was the visual, where Jen recommended that I include a second image since the single image lacked sufficient clarity to connect the components and process. Finding another visual that complemented the initial proved to be difficult given the wide-spread level of technicality. I even considered making my own visual; but in the end, settled on a second image that displayed three out of the four components of PCR since the last component was already shown in the initial visual. The figure captions for both images were also given additional details to make navigating the visuals easier. The feedback made me realize PCR was perhaps too complicated a term for this assignment and I should have realized that when the components of PCR already required further definitions. A more appropriate term probably would have been DNA, instead of a technique performed on DNA.

Related Links:
Jen’s review of the assignment and my revised definition assignment can be found below.

301-Jen-Deluz-Peer-Review

301 Jonathan Ho Revised Three Definitions