About Me

My name is Jonathan Ho and I am currently in my first year in the Bachelor of Computer Science second degree program. My first degree was in biology and was completed also at UBC recently in June 2020 earlier this year. Throughout my degree in biology, I found interest in many subjects including molecular biology, genetics, genomics, physiology, and more. I also spent one year employed as a co-op student at a biotech startup company here in Vancouver. It was there that I truly started appreciating the work that computer scientists and engineers performed, especially in biology. After that experience, I knew that I wanted to go back to school for computer science to complement my biology background.

Topics in computer science that I think are relevant to biology and therefore will seek to educate myself in include (but are definitely not limited to):

• Databases
  • Algorithms
  • Machine Learning/AI
  • Parallel Computation

My ultimate goal is contribute to the field of bioinformatics and I intend to achieve that through the experiences that I have and will acquire throughout the next few years.