12/17/20

Unit 4 Reflections

Self-Assessment Reflection
From my experience in the ENGL301 online course, I think my greatest weakness was the duration of time I took to realize and correct my flawed approach to peer reviews. It was approximately a month and a half into the course when I finally understood that additional details in reviews were necessary for multiple reasons. Readers of a review are not necessarily the author of the original piece; and even in the situation that they are, details allow the review to make sense without needing the original document beside it. Once this was understood however, I was quick to adjust my approach and I consider that a strength.

From my perspective, the role of a student is to continuously critique, improve, and learn. This past term, ENGL301 has allowed me to practice each of these traits, and I am thankful as they will undoubtedly prove useful in the near future.

Reflection on Creating a Web Folio
The approach I took to creating my web folio was a systematic one. I began by briefly researching what web folios were, their general structure, and reading over the list of requirements on the lesson 4.3 assignment page. I decided early on that I would re-purpose my blog website to save some time, and began to perform the checklist of tasks.

As I was working through my tasks, an interesting realization occurred. Crafting a web folio requires constant mindfulness of the reader, much like the technical writing in the course. The experience has been most valuable, and I am certain that what I have learned will aid me in my future endeavours.

12/9/20

Unit 3 Reflections

Reflection on Researching, Organizing, and Writing the Formal Report Draft:
The research and organization of the formal report was mostly straightforward. Previous work from the outline, progress report, and even the proposal provided direction on what tasks needed to be done. The organization followed the structure of the outline, although some adjustments were made to accommodate the available information. For example, no amount of research could reveal an approximate cost of switching from paper shelf-labels to electronic shelf-labels (ESL). There were many ESL modules available on sites like ebay and aliexpress but considering how the prices ranged from 10-100s of dollars, these were neither reliable nor applicable. Loblaw (the owners of Shoppers Drug Mart) would probably reach out directly to ESL manufacturers to agree on a quote, and the number would remain private between the two parties, like it did for Superstore.

With the research completed and outline adapted, writing the report was essentially filling in the details. Analysis and visualization of survey data was performed using figures, and summaries of both paper shelf-labels and ESLs were represented in tables. Careful attention was paid to ensure objective tone since the report was a comparison between two competing products, but the process of writing was smooth overall.

Reflection on Reviewing Peer’s Formal Report Draft:
Peer reviewing Ashley’s formal report draft allowed me to see some areas of improvement for my own report. I was particularly impressed with the you-attitude throughout the entire piece, especially since the report is critiquing the American Club Fitness Facility’s practices. Additionally, each figure in the report was followed by an interpretation, allowing the reader to easily follow Ashley’s thought process.

At this point, I am fairly comfortable with the structure and process of peer reviewing; however, I think I am spending too much time on it. I will continue to strive for improvement through the final assignments and beyond.

301 Jonathan Ho Draft Formal Report

11/14/20

Unit 2 Reflections

Reflection on LinkedIn Profiles:
As someone with a biology background who is also entering the computer science field, I know the importance of a LinkedIn profile, but never got around to setting one up. For that reason alone, I am thankful for this assignment. In terms of the profile creation and networking practices, I found the initial research step to be incredibly useful. Some tips that stood out were the URL customization and course accomplishments. I do not think that I would have considered those options without first researching best practices for the LinkedIn platform. The process of peer reviewing a LinkedIn profile was also beneficial to improving my LinkedIn profile. While going over Jen’s profile, I learned the importance of a unique summary. Since LinkedIn automatically populates and organizes many fields, the summary is one of the few places that allow for self-expression which can be crucial when recruiters look at a profile. Overall, I am thankful for the LinkedIn assignment and eager to start making more professional connections.

Reflection on Formal Report Proposal and Outline:
The process for brainstorming a topic for the formal report proposal and outline was more difficult that anticipated. I wanted the issue to be relatively accessible for investigation while also being mindful of safety concerns due to the current global pandemic. Interviews and surveys would be conducted through online applications, but site-visits and in-person inquiries would be avoided, ruling out potential topics in a previous biology co-op lab. I ultimately settled on investigating if shelf-label accuracy and efficiency could be improved at a Shoppers Drug Mart location. Looking forward to the report itself, the length of 12 – 15 pages seems daunting; however, I have already started thinking of alternative methods to fill in space, likely using a variety of figures and generated graphs with interview and survey data. I think the largest concern I have regarding the formal report will be its applicability. The pandemic will severely limit the potential data that I gather which may impact the results and conclusion that I draw from the data.

Reflection on Peer Review Process:
Since the unit one reflection, I have learned many techniques for both my writing and the peer review process. I learned to avoid pronouns (barring reflections), incorporate details by referencing specific examples, and improve my writing tone and suggestive ability by replacing imperative verbs with ones that end in “ing”. I have also learned to better organize the peer review document by increasing the use of bullet points and adding a summary list of suggested edits to improve readability and convenience for readers and the original writer. The peer reviewing process has certainly improved my writing, most likely in terms of refinement. My previous revision process consisted of simply looking for errors in flow and grammar, but has since expanded to consider organization, tone, use of positives, and more. All in all, I think my writing style remains concise, for which I am glad.

301 Jonathan Ho Revised Report Proposal

Peer Review of Original Proposal

10/7/20

Unit 1 Reflections

Reflection on Definition Assignment:
Once I decided on PCR as my term for the definition assignment, I knew I wanted to focus on the conciseness of the definition. This was attempted by ensuring sentences did not contain too much information and by framing the descriptions for a non-technical audience. I also arranged the order of the sections in the most logical manner possible. The transitions from the term description of PCR to parts, process, visual, and applications were aimed at the reader having the highest probability of understanding the term. A particular section that I worried about was the “parts” of the expanded definition. Since the components of PCR were technical enough to warrant their own definitions, analogies and simple words were specifically used in consideration of the reader. The visual was also a difficult section for PCR because almost all images were either excessively technical or simplified for the target audience. I ultimately decided on an image that required the least description in the figure caption. That way, readers would not have to speculate as much above or below the level of detail in the definition descriptions.

Reflection on Peer Review:
The peer review was conducted by following the provided guide document and textbook checklist. I did find both elements to be complementary as the guide was helpful in organizing my thoughts and impressions, whereas the checklist specified common errors to look for. The information from both elements were then condensed and organized into categories to be written in the report. I generally tried to point out issues that were prevalent throughout the piece rather than minor errors, as I believe the former to be more valuable feedback. I also gave suggestions on how to remedy the issues so that the author would have examples to refer to. Overall, I think the final product resulted in too much distance between the author and myself with the tone being too heavy (sorry Ashley!). That will be something to improve on in future peer reviews.

Reflection on Self-Editing:
As for the feedback I received, Jen’s suggestions were all agreeable which made the editing process simple. The only section that required extra time was the visual, where Jen recommended that I include a second image since the single image lacked sufficient clarity to connect the components and process. Finding another visual that complemented the initial proved to be difficult given the wide-spread level of technicality. I even considered making my own visual; but in the end, settled on a second image that displayed three out of the four components of PCR since the last component was already shown in the initial visual. The figure captions for both images were also given additional details to make navigating the visuals easier. The feedback made me realize PCR was perhaps too complicated a term for this assignment and I should have realized that when the components of PCR already required further definitions. A more appropriate term probably would have been DNA, instead of a technique performed on DNA.

Related Links:
Jen’s review of the assignment and my revised definition assignment can be found below.

301-Jen-Deluz-Peer-Review

301 Jonathan Ho Revised Three Definitions

09/22/20

Email to Writing Team Members

From: Jonathan Ho <jonathho@student.ubc.ca>
To: Ashley Yuan <yuanashl@student.ubc.ca>
Subject: ENGL301 99A Professional Writing Team
Date: September 22, 2020

Dear Ashley,

It would be my pleasure to join your professional writing team.

I have read through your application letter and completely agree with your reasoning. Our mutual interest in using technology to supplement our initial topics of study bodes well for a team that will work together to improve. Additionally, I believe your experience in mentoring and ability to work well in a team setting will be beneficial to the team you assemble.

I eagerly await the opportunity to work with you and your team this coming term.

All the best,
Jonathan Ho

To: Mila Tung <yung.99@alumni.ubc.ca>
Date: September 22, 2020

Dear Mila Tung,

I am writing to invite you to be a part of a professional writing team.

Having read both your application letter and biography, I believe you would make for an excellent team member. Your experience as an English instructor is unique and will unquestionably serve as a major asset in a writing team where peer editing and reviews are frequent. Likewise, your expertise in critically reading, analyzing and writing papers as part of your coursework is seen as a large benefit. Having also been a part of the Biology program at UBC, it is possible that the flaws in our writing may be similar, and finding those will aid in developing stronger written and communicative skills for both of us.

Included in this email is a copy of my application letter and I also encourage you to take a look at my blog if you are interested. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me using this email. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Jonathan Ho

301 Jonathan Ho Application Letter

To: Jen Deluz <jksdeluz@student.ubc.ca>
Date: September 22, 2020

Dear Jen Deluz,

Having read both your application letter and biography, I believe you would make for an excellent team member. Your professional experience across a variety of positions has undoubtedly allowed for your development of strong communication and writing skills. Additionally, your skill-set of time management, prioritization, punctuality, diligence and strong work ethic will be an incredible asset to the team. I am also a believer in learning from any and all situations; thus, I hope that the learning we share this term far exceeds communication and writing skills.

Best,
Jonathan Ho

301 Jonathan Ho Application Letter

09/18/20

Email Memorandum

MEMORANDUM

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, ENGL301 Instructor
From: Jonathan Ho, ENGL301 Student
Date: September 18, 2020
Subject: ENGL301 Application Letter

I am emailing to inform you that my application letter for assembling a writing team has been completed and posted on my blog. Please find my application available below for your convenience.

My application contains

• My academic and professional background
  • Strengths and weaknesses of my writing ability
  • Working habits
  • Ideology for learning

Please let me know if I have forgotten any details, I look forward to working with you and my team for a successful term.

Enclosure: 301 Jonathan Ho Application Letter

09/17/20

Application Letter

2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

September 17, 2020

ENGL301 99A Students
University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Attention: Students of ENGL301 99A

I am a recent biology graduate and first year BCS student at UBC looking to be part of a professional writing team. As part of the ENGL301 course, I believe that the skills and experience that I have acquired throughout my years will complement any team looking to work and improve together for the duration of this term.

Professional communication and writing are skills that I have trained throughout both my academic and employment history as a student, cashier, barista, IT help desk support and perhaps most notably, as a biology co-op at Terramera, a biotech start-up based in Vancouver, BC. My work at Terramera included communicating professionally with people from diverse backgrounds including biologists, data scientists, computer engineers, team leads, managers and the Chief Scientific Officer. This communication was typically conducted through in-person meetings, but also in experimental reports and emails.

From the countless written assignments and reports I have produced in the past, I believe my attention to detail and grammar to be excellent, and my writing style to be concise. At times, I can even condense my writing such that meeting word count requirements can be difficult. Evenings (Pacific time) are my most productive hours, as I tend to work late into the nights.

Generally, I believe that practice to be the most effective method of learning and improving. This is especially true for tasks that are already or easily understood. For larger or abstract concepts however, I believe breaking them into smaller, manageable parts to first understand before practicing can be beneficial.

If my application is of interest, please contact me at jonathho@student.ubc.ca. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Ho

301 Jonathan Ho Application Letter