Self-Assessment Reflection

While I was reviewing old posts I have made on my blog, I stumbled across the “ABOUT ENG 301” page where I wrote about expectations I had for this course. Towards the end of that page, I wrote about how nervous I was for making the decision to take this English course knowing that English has always been one of my weakest subjects in school. However, one thing that I sure of was the fact that practice makes perfect. After having complete the course, I can confirm that the initial statement is true.

Throughout the course, I had plenty of opportunities to practice technical writing, peer review others’ work, self-edit and revise my own work. These practices not only gave me the opportunity to gain insight from my peers’ work, but it also equip me with the skill sets needed to minimize my own mistakes each time I start a new assignments. I am so grateful to have taken this course knowing that I now have what it takes to write effective business letters and formal proposals. On top of that I also have the ability to present myself professionally through my LinkedIn page, resume, and cover letter.

My favourite component of this course will definitely have to be the formal report. From identifying an issue, to coming up with a resolution and writing a complete formal report to present my recommended solutions was such an exciting process for me. Although I must admit that gathering data and carrying out the actual study was a very long and difficult process, I did find it rewarding when I was finally able to interpret the data I have gathered and use it to come up with solutions for the formal report.

Overall, I believe that I have great improvement in my technical writing skills and I hope that I will be able to continue to utilize the knowledge I have gained from this course upon graduating from UBC.