Matthew De Rose: Complaint Letter

Matthew De Rose
60 Crofters Rd
Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
L4L 7C7

April 15, 2020

Best Buy Headquarters
Customer Service Department
7601 Penn Ave
South Richfield, Minnesota
55423

Subject: Online Order Damaged On Arrival

Attention Blanche Devroe:

Best Buy has been a company with a long history of connecting customers with quality technology that meets their needs and enhances their lives. For 15 years I have been a devoted customer that has always trusted the quality of the products sold both from Best Buy and from the marketplace distributors that are allowed to sell on the Best Buy website.

On March 28th, 2020 I had placed an order online for a refurbished Lenovo ThinkVision LCD Computer Monitor on the bestbuy.ca website with the order number 08930394 from the marketplace distributer DirectEasyBuy. On April 3rd, 2020 the monitor was received from Canada Post (tracking number 040390490) which I had personally signed for. Immediately after signing for the package, the box was immediately opened and it was apparent that the LCD screen had visible damages with large cracks on the screen. When connecting the laptop to my workstation the screen is completely unusable due to the Enclosed with this email, are the photos of all damages to the product.

I was not able to call the customer service department DirectEasyBuy until April 13th, 2020 since I had accidentally dropped my phone in a glass of water and couldn’t get a replacement until April 12th. When I called DirectEasyBuy I spoke to Rose Nylund from the customer service department to discuss my disappointment in the state of the product that was received. At this time I requested a refund for my purchase and Rose explained that the company will only accept returns buisness 5 days after the package has been received and they will not be able to refund it at this time.

This monitor was necessary for me to set up my home office since I am currently working as a software engineer that requires multiple screens to work effectively. Since I have been forced to work at home during the pandemic I am currently struggling to meet the demands of my job with a small laptop screen. I am also not in a financial position to lose this amount of money since this was not a predicted expense and therefore is already out of my budget. The return policy for DirectEasyBuy has now left me in a dire situation both professionally and financially since they are allowed to avoid responsibility for the damaged product by blaming the shipping company.

In the past when I have purchased from one of your marketplace sellers I have always been able to return a damaged product up to two weeks after the product has been recieved. It is Best Buy’s responsibility to ensure any Marketplace sellers on their website have consistent and fair return policies. Since this seller is refusing to refund me I expect Best Buy to refund my purchase since they have allowed a company to sell a product on their website with a drastically shorter return policy relative to other marketplace sellers. As a loyal customer to Best Buy for 15 years I find myself disheartened that you would allow a company with an unfair return policy to be able to sell on your website.

I would appreciate to have this matter resolved before the end of August.

Sincerely,

Matthew De Rose