Lesson 1.3 Peer Review – Brand Extension

Name of the Reviewer: Annie Maurer
Author’s Name: Ishaan Vora
Title of the Expanded Definition: Brand Extension

Great work on your definitions assignment, Ishaan. I have reviewed your submission in detail and I have the following feedback for you:

Initial Impressions: I developed a good overall impression of brand extension from reading your definitions. If I were your supervisor or editor I would ask for small revisions to clarify what brand extension is. Are there other examples when a company would want to use the brand extension strategy? How is brand extension implemented? How long has brand extension been used for?

Purpose: All parts of your assignment are aligned with the task of defining your term. Well done.

Audience: As someone who had never heard of brand extension before, your assignment was well targeted to a novice reader like myself.

Recommendations: You could include that brand extension is used by companies with a well-developed image to branch out into new product areas. I learned this about brand extension from an online search and it helped me to understand the concept better. Also, I do not understand what “elements of Product, Price, Place, & Promotion” means.

Organization: The four methods of expansion used are: a) how the term is used or applied, b) how it works, c) what it looks like, and d) what is needed to make it work or occur. The first three strategies are used well, while the fourth is slightly weaker. You could include a more detailed example of what is needed to make brand extension work. The colgate image was clear and was an effective example of brand extension. You could have included another example of a well-known brand performing brand extension to further communicate your ideas. One grammar mistake made twice is the use of “it’s” versus “its”. “Help the company grow it’s product portfolio” should be “help the company grow its product portfolio” and “increase it’s business portfolio” should be “increase its business portfolio”. These small grammar mistakes did not detract from the intended meaning of the sentences.

Final Impressions: Thank you very much for providing a good introduction to the term brand extension. A few more sentences on what situations brand extension would be used in would improve your expanded definition. The logical flow of ideas in your expanded definition was the most effect element of your assignment as it allowed me to follow your ideas easily. After reading your assignment, I have a solid, basic understanding of what brand extension is.

301 Ishaan Vora Definitions