Assignment 3:1 – Bad News Adjustment Letter

Letter #1: Complaint Letter

November 27, 2020

Claire Eccles
13868 19A Avenue
Surrey, BC V4A 9M2

U-Haul International
2727 N. Central Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85004

Subject: Move-in Day Issues

Dear U-Haul Customer Service,

Coming highly recommended to me from a friend and loyal customer to U-Haul throughout her moves, I decided to book a truck for my own family move. Unfortunately, my experience was frustrating and disappointing.

While the booking process was a smooth and pleasant encounter, pick-up and drop-off on the day of our move felt like a nightmare. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, it was recommended that we complete both pick-up and drop-off through the U-Haul app. When we arrived at the pick-up location, the app on my mobile device was malfunctioning and would not allow us to complete the steps required to drive off the lot with the moving truck. When we requested assistance from the main office, they informed us that they were unable to help because head office was located in the United States and they were the only people that could help resolve our app issues.

While I understand that the representatives at the site office are not trained to address technical issues, the front office staff were rude, dismissive and offered no guidance or assistance options. Finally, after 90 minutes of waiting on hold, we got through to the head office and our issues were resolved. Upon drop-off, similar issues occurred and it took another 2 hours of being transferred to different departments and hold times to resolve this issue.

Overall, this was a frustrating and stressful experience on top of an already hectic moving day. After comparing companies and reviewing websites, we chose U-Haul for its commitment to a smooth and easy rental. As evident by our experience, our rental felt anything but smooth and easy. As a result of the time lost troubleshooting on moving day, my partner and I needed to rent another vehicle and take an extra day off work in order to complete our move. With the time and money that was lost due to a malfunction that was no fault of our own, I am requesting compensation in the form of a full refund on our truck rental.

While I am disappointed with our experience with U-Haul, I understand that mistakes happen and do not believe this instance was an accurate reflection of  U-Haul.

I look forward to connecting soon,

Claire Eccles (signed)

Claire Eccles

Letter #2: Letter of Adjustment

November 28, 2020

U-Haul International
2727 N. Central Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85004

Claire Eccles
13868 19A Avenue
Surrey, BC V4A 9M2

RE: Move-in Day Issues

Dear Miss Eccles,

Thank you for considering us as your move-in helpers. We would like to express our deepest apologies for your unsatisfying experience. Please know that customer experience is our top priority at U-Haul and there will be a continued investigation on the details of this issue in order to prevent future occurrences.

In lieu of your experience, you will receive a full refund and a $50 credit for a future rental if you choose to use us again. The refund will be applied to your account immediately and enclosed is a $50 credit valid for any U-Haul service, including storage services.

At U-Haul, your customer feedback is highly valued and we will work diligently to address all complaints and concerns. I would like to thank you for reaching out and bringing this matter to our attention. Finally, I would like to reiterate an apology for your unpleasant experience and hope you will choose U-Haul in the future.

Sincerely,

John Doe (signed)

John Doe

U-Haul Customer Service

Enclosure: $50 credit