Peer Review Definition Assignment – Jo Hempelmann

Name of the Reviewer:  Hanul Seo

Author’s Name: Jo Hempelmann

Title of the Expanded Definition: “Chekhov’s Gun”

The art of story telling has always been an interest of mine. Therefore, when I read Jo’s definition of “Chekhov’s Gun”, I was particularly fascinated.

Purpose

The purpose of this assignment was clear and concise. The definition creates a clear and concise summary of how this specific storytelling technique uses various dynamics to engage the audience more effectively.

storytelling technique that states plot details or twists that occur later in a narrative should be introduced substantially beforehand, so that the audience is aware of their existence and have their expectations set accordingly.

Audience

I would say that due to the simplicity and clarity of the definition, the audience was able to comprehend the over all message, purpose and use of “Chekhov’s Gun”. Moreover, the simplicity of this definition created a generalizability for an ability for individuals with various different backgrounds to be able to understand what Chekhov’s Gun is and how it is used.

Changes

The changes I would suggest to this definition assignment would be to add more details to the definition. Although the simplicity of the definition was easy to understand, I would have appreciated more information regarding Chekhov’s Gun. For example, adding some films or stories that has used this method of storytelling would have allowed the audience to be able to relate to the topic more, as well as understand the concept through these examples.

Organization

There seems to be no method of expansion used in this definition.

Although the definition of Chekhov’s Gun were clear and concise, the organization creates a slight difficulty for the reader to follow. I would suggest to space out the paragraphs slightly to emphasize the different sections – resulting in a nicer flow throughout the definition.

Final Impressions

Overall, this definition was very interesting to read. It informed me of the various methods of storytelling, and how these have an effect on the audience. One criticism I have regarding this definition would be to add more information to make the definition more engaging, as well as space out the definition for more clarify and flow.