Formal Report Proposal (Revised) – Hanul Seo

To: Dr. Erika Paterson
From: Hanul Seo
Date: June 22th, 2022

Subject: Proposal for Implementing Financed Mental Health Program for Disadvantaged Youth in British Columbia

Audience: Honourable Mitzi Dean, Minister of Child and Family Services B.C.

Introduction
Studies demonstrate that children and youth raised in financially disadvantaged circumstances are more likely to suffer increased stresses and overall reduced access to mental health resources and at the same time they are at higher risk of suffering numerous health and social problems: juvenile delinquency, bullying, and suicide being three of the most serious. (Goodman 2005). This is a proposal to investigate ways for the ministry to alleviate some of these risks by providing a subsidized program for mental health resources for youth at risk.

Statement of Problem

The Ministry of Children and Family Development’s Child & Youth Mental Health team works to “provide a range of mental health assessment and treatment options for children and youth (0-18 years of age) and their families at no cost.” -https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/managing-your-health/mental-health-substance-use/child-teen-mental-health

Although B.C. makes efforts to implement supplementary mental health programs to assist youth with their conflicts, most programs go only as far as providing treatment options at no costs. Therefore, although these families, or youth are provided with the best route of solution, it is very plausible that they will not be able to followup with such suggestions as counselling as well as psychotherapy treatments are quite costly, and often not covered under insurance. As a result, young adults are left to deal with their issue in solitary with little to no help on how to resolved this internalized conflict.

Proposed Solution

By developing a subsidized, or free mental health care plan for disadvantaged youth suffering from mental health issues – the overall community would benefit as this care plan would facilitate the positive growth of the next generation, and create a more balanced society.

Scope

To evaluate the achievability of providing a subsidized program for mental health resources for youth at risk, I plan to investigate the following areas:

1. How many children from ages 12-18 have a background of low SES (SES: socio-economic-status)?
  2. What other resources are there for at risk youth within the lower mainland?
  3. What is the current research at risk youth and the correlation to their SES (SES: socio-economic-status)?
  4. What are the resources needed to implement a subsidized program for mental health resources for youth at risk?

By asking these questions – we avoid disclosure of personal information as the questions are very generalized, as well as allows for more insight and understanding regarding this topic.

Methods

My primary sources will be a survey of employees who currently work with troubled youth to determine if they believe that children of lower SES (socio-economic status) are at more risk than those of high SES. Following this, as secondary sources – I plan to use various sources consisting of studying the different demographics of Vancouver – as listed on Statistics Canada (https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CMACA&Code1=933&Geo2=PR&Code2=59&Data=Count&SearchText=vancouver&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&TABID=1) – from here we will be able to attain a general idea of how many youth are of low SES. Additionally, I will also use other sources of publications and studies regarding childrens’ SES status and its correlation to their mental health.

My Qualifications

Aside from my extensive working experience, my relevant qualifications include my Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology from the University of British Columbia. Previously, in my Project Coordinator role, as well as within my role as a Youth Development Specialist, I exercised a calculated and methodical approach to define the main objectives of the project, its purpose, and scope. Oversee scope, cost, timelines, risk, quality issues, and communications. Outline key deliverables and milestones and identify the tasks that must be completed. I was also required to monitor and control processes commencing throughout planning, execution, and closing. Additionally, while working with youth, I was called to assist children and youth develop life skills, social skills and/or access to community resources, provide individual care and guidance consistent with the needs of an individual group with mental health issues, behavioural challenges, or other adversities these young individuals may be exposed to. Moreover, my extensive educational background within the field of psychology has required not only to be able to produce top tier papers and journal articles, but to also conduct various research projects as well as be able to analyze the data produced and summarize such information to be accessible to the general public.

Conclusion

I believe that the mental health crisis among youth is one that the province of British Columbia should take into serious account. Moreover, youth with a low SES status are more exposed to various stressors created by their environment. In order for the province to create a more balanced demographic, there needs to be accountability for this lack of care plans for at risk youth within B.C. Moreover, if B.C were to implement these care plans, such actions will enable a strong foundation to be curated within Canadian children leading to a healthier, happier and more productive population of Canadian youth.

Resources

American Psychological Association. (2018). Children, youth, families and socioeconomic status. APA Fact Sheet.

Escarce J. J. (2003). Socioeconomic status and the fates of adolescents. Health services research38(5), 1229–1233. https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.00173

Goodman, E., McEwen, B. S., Dolan, L. M., Schafer-Kalkhoff, T., & Adler, N. E. (2005). Social disadvantage and adolescent stress. Journal of Adolescent Health37(6), 484-492.

Nagabharana, T. K., Joseph, S., Rizwana, A., Krishna, M., Barker, M., Fall, C., … & Krishnaveni, G. V. (2021). What stresses adolescents? A qualitative study on perceptions of stress, stressors and coping mechanisms among urban adolescents in India. Wellcome Open Research6.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CMACA&Code1=933&Geo2=PR&Code2=59&Data=Count&SearchText=vancouver&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&TABID=1