Piper Kim’s Revised Formal Report Proposal

To: ENGL 301 Writing Team (Team Leif Jack’s Team)

From: Piper Kim, ENGL 301 Student 

Date: 22 June 2022

Subject: My Proposal for Implementing Dairy-Free Options at Ice Cream on Grand, New Jersey, USA

Audience: 

This report will be presented to Syed Rizvi, the owner of Ice Cream on Grand 

Introduction 

The purpose of this formal report is to offer recommendations for offering dairy-free options at Ice Cream on Grand. Ice Cream on Grand is a local Kosher ice cream shop located in Englewood, New Jersey. Over the past two decades, they have served high quality home-made ice cream to our community and to people all over the country. They serve a variety of flavors ranging from plain vanilla to fruity flavors to Cookie Monster (the most popular flavor). They have 32 flavors in total including three sugar-free and two sherbets (still contains skim milk), and three soft-serve options (vanilla, chocolate, and swirl). Their menu has many options, offering the ice cream in cups, cones, sundaes, milkshakes, and freezer packs making it a perfect dessert spot for individuals, friends, and families. 

A variety of customers come in to try Ice Cream on Grand. Attracting over 2000 customers weekly, many people come to try one of the 32 flavors offered. However, all the ice cream contains dairy, becoming a limiting factor for those who cannot consume dairy. As a result, there is a loss of customers. 

This report will be presented to Syed Rizvi, the owner as well as head ice cream maker of the local ice cream shop. Rizvi is in charge of supplies and holds the power to decide whether to add a non-dairy ice cream flavor. 

Statement of Problem 

Although the ice cream shop carries a variety of flavors (32), they have no options for those who are vegan or lactose intolerant. They have had the same flavors for over 20 years, and now it is time to expand.

According to the National Institutes of Health, lactose intolerance is “an impaired ability to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and other dairy products.” This is a health issue that cannot be fixed but can be possibly avoided with the use of non-dairy products. About 65% of the adult human population has this sort of lactose intolerance, which results in abdominal pain and other gastrointestinal consequences after eating dairy products (Glaser). 

Lactose intolerant and vegan (a strict vegetarian who consumes no food that comes from animals such as eggs and dairy) customers are at an all-time high with a percentage of customers (about 65%) having forms of dairy intolerance. If Ice Cream on Grand Does not shift to a more inclusive menu, it will lose a percentage of its customers.

Proposed Solution

A proposed solution is to have at least one non-dairy flavor in their collection. Many customers over the past couple of years have inquired about non-dairy options, by asking and suggesting to head management. With this new addition, it will cater to more customers and satisfy their needs, increasing interests and revenue. 

Scope 

To determine the feasibility of the implementation of a non-dairy ice cream flavor, I will pursue these five areas of inquiry: 

1. What non-dairy suppliers are Kosher (Ice Cream on Grand only can serve Kosher products), and what are the approximate costs of production? 
  2. What is the current demand for dairy-free ice cream? 
  3. Do other ice cream competitors carry non-dairy flavors?
  4. What price for non-dairy ice cream can the market bear?  
  5. The demographics of the area (population, age, income, ethnicity — according to the NIH, in adults lactose intolerance shows up most often in people of East Asian heritage, affecting 70 to 100% of the population)

Methods

My primary source will include a consultation with Syed Rizvi, owner of Ice Cream on Grand, and the company Panza, which is the head supplier of our productions to look for possible non-dairy options. I will also conduct an in-person survey with customers and Ice Cream on Grand employees to gain a better insight into whether this addition of non-dairy flavors is a positive idea. In addition, I will scope the surrounding competition to see whether they carry any non-dairy flavors and if they do, which alternatives did they use and what flavor(s). 

My secondary source includes the government consensus so I can see the demographic of the town. 

My Qualifications 

I have worked part-time at Ice Cream on Grand since the summer of 2018. During the pandemic, I was promoted to manager, overseeing ice cream production, sales, and customer relations. I have spent almost four years at this facility and I first-handedly witnessed customers’ complaints and suggestions. Many customers come through the door asking if we have non-dairy flavors and leave once they realize we don’t carry any. Due to my position, I can suggest non-dairy flavors to the owner. 

Conclusion

Ice Cream on Grand is a staple dessert spot in New Jersey, serving customers for over 20 years. Although they carry 32 flavors, they do not cater to those who are vegan or lactose intolerant, failing to satisfy specific customer groups. If Ice Cream on Grand accepts this proposal, they will begin to see new types of customers and expect an increase in business. 

Works Cited:

Glaser, Kelli. “Lactose Intolerance: Pathology,” britannica.com (accessed Mar. 25, 2020)

Formal Report Proposal — KIM (1)