Reflection- 1.3

At least three paragraphs reflecting on the process and the choices you made while writing, peer reviewing and self-editing; in short, what have you learned about your writing and your peer’s writing from this particular writing exercise and process?

This reflection describes my learning process and growth while writing the definitions, peer reviewing and self-editing. This assignment aims to foster a lifelong reflective approach and continuous personal and professional exploration. The key lesson learnt from this assignment is that despite putting time and detail in assignment, I wasn’t interpreting the rubric properly.

The Formal Report Process:

The Formal report process was quicker than the original definition because after doing the peer review, I reviewed my own assignment and saw how I would assess my work against the marking rubric. It forced me to reflect on my own work. Io (my peer reviewer) was generally positive in her review. She complimented me on the clarity of sentence definition and the quality of work. She raised some very good questions like why I am interested in the word and how I can tie it back to me and my profession. She suggested to add examples and pictures.

The word I picked was very technical so initially I thought using a picture won’t make any point but in my formal report when I added examples and more in-depth detail, I realized that picture will be helpful to break down and contextualize this word.

The Peer Review Process:

Peer review is the evaluation of other student’s work by one or more student with similar competencies either summative or formative purposes.

This experience is less intimidating process because someone from your own class will similar competency is going to review your work and give feedback on how to improve it. I believe it’s a two way learning road because that benefits reviewers learning as well by providing suggestions and it greatly help the student whose work is being reviewed.

It helped me understand the criteria and marks distribution used for the assignment while processing and analyzing the work of my peer.

The peer review process was a positive one for me because I received very constructive advice which I will remember and apply when writing posts in the future. It developed my confidence to criticize constructively and enabled me to be more open minded to other people’s opinions. It is important that we constantly improve our self and for that, review and criticism is very helpful.

The only challenge I faced related to this assignment that I wasn’t confident in my reviewing skills. I was very worried that I may lack the skills and knowledge required to engage constructively.

In conclusion, there are well-documented benefits of peer review and constructively critiquing each other’s work. It helped me a lot.

Hyperlinks

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30198a2022s12/2021/01/30/definitions/

https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30198a2022s12/2021/02/06/peer-review-definitions-to-aliya-from-io/