Formal Report Proposal (Jeemin Kim)

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, ENGL 301 Instructor
From: Jeemin Kim, ENGL 301 Student
Date: June 22, 2022
Subject: Proposal for Improving Bike Rental System App for Foreigners in Seoul

Introduction

Seoul Public Bike, also known as Ttareungyi, is an unmanned bicycle rental system that is widely used in Seoul, South Korea. First introduced in 2015, the system aims to resolve ongoing environmental issues including congestion, air pollution, and increasing oil prices in the capital. These public bicycles can be rented at rental stations that are located in both busy business districts and residential areas.

In the first half of 2021, there were three million users of the system, including foreigners. The city says that a large number of users are using these bikes during rush hour, especially as an alternative to crowded subways or buses ever since the pandemic.

Statement of Problem

Seoul Public Bike extends its service to foreigners residing in Seoul. However, the app that is used to rent the bikes is extremely difficult to use for non-Korean speakers. Above all, the app does not offer a language option other than Korean. The app currently offers an option for foreign tourists, but the rates are different and the app is only partially translated to English. The registration and payment processes make it nearly impossible for foreigners who do not have a Korean phone number or pre-approved international credit card to use the system.

Proposed Solution

The intended audience is mainly the Head of Seoul Public Bike App Operation Team, Yang Jae-young. One possible solution to the problem of using the Seoul Public Bike app as a foreigner is to add an English language option. This means that the app will translate instructions for registration and payment, notifications, and locations on the map. Introducing a payment system that does not require multiple steps of verification would also improve the experience for both Korean and non-Korean speakers.

Scope

To assess the feasibility of improving the app used for the Seoul Public Bike service, I plan to explore the following areas of inquiry:

1. What is the experience like for a user who has limited or no knowledge of Korean using the app for Seoul Public Bike?
  2. How difficult is it to add another language option to an existing app?
  3. What is the need for a verification system when registering for the rental service?
  4. What is the payment system like in other apps that are frequently used by foreigners residing in Korea? How is it implemented?
Methods

My primary data sources will include interviews with non-Korean speakers including university students, workers and long-term tourists, and public data released by the Seoul Metropolitan Government.

Secondary sources will include peer-reviewed journal articles on the Seoul Public Bike system and cases studies of payment systems used recently in the public and private sectors.

My Qualifications

As a former student/intern reporter, I am well aware of the steps that are taken to prepare for an interview. I am also an avid user of Seoul Public Bike myself, so I am familiar with using the app for the rental system.

Conclusion

As South Korea becomes more globalized, there is a need to acknowledge the inconveniences that non-Korean speakers face daily and accommodate their needs. By conducting this research, I can clarify the difficulties of using the app for Seoul Public Bike as a foreigner and determine the feasibility of resolving such issues.