3.1 Business letters

Letter #1 Complaint Letter

Ethan Fung
1638 West 59th Ave
Vancouver, B.C. V6P 1Z4

July 11, 2022

Apple store
701 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5

Attention: Mr. Bernd Huebbers
Subject: Malfunction in a recently purchased iPad Pro

Dear Mr. Huebbers,

I have been using Apple products for over 8 years and have been extremely satisfied with the quality and care Apple puts into their products. In addition, my experiences with Apple’s customer service have always been excellent which is why I am confident that we can come to a reasonable agreement concerning a recently bought malfunctioning iPad Pro.

On June 2nd I bought an 11-inch iPad Pro from the Apple store located in Pacific Center mall. After opening it, turning it on, and setting it up, I noticed that the front-facing camera did not work. This malfunction interferes with video conferencing calls, photos, and Face ID. As video conferencing is used commonly in my work for meetings, this malfunction is very annoying.

I understand that there can be some problems during production that lead to faulty products such as the iPad I have received. However, I must return this iPad and would like to be compensated in one of two ways:

1. Replacing my faulty iPad Pro with a proper iPad Pro with the same memory, storage, and colour.
  2. A full refund on the iPad Pro.

Apple has always been a company that radiates professionalism and trust. I look forward to your response and hope that we can come to a fair conclusion. To prove that I bought this iPad Pro, a receipt of purchase will be included with this letter.

Sincerely,

Ethan Fung

Enclosure: Picture of receipt

Letter #2 Bad news letter

Apple store
701 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V7Y 1G5

July 14, 2022

Mr, Ethan Fung
1638 West 59th Ave
Vancouver, B.C. V6P 1Z4

RE: Malfunction in a recently purchased iPad Pro

Dear Mr. Fung,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We are glad that you view Apple in such high regard and wish to keep you as a loyal customer.

As for compensation, we cannot determine if the front camera of the iPad was broken before or after the time of purchase. Therefore, we cannot provide either of the two compensation options described in your letter. However, our experts at Apple can provide a quick repair of your iPad if returned to the store. The receipt attached to your letter showed that you did not purchase AppleCare with your iPad so please note that this repair will not be free. We highly recommend purchasing AppleCare with your next product to ensure that you receive the best experience and coverage with Apple.

We understand any frustrations you may have with this response and our team at Apple will work hard and diligently to meet your needs. Loyal customers such as yourself are valued deeply and for that reason, I would like to extend an offer to provide a free repair of your iPad with the purchase of AppleCare. To redeem this offer please reply to this email within 30 days and we can set up an appointment.

Yours truly,

Bernd Hubbers, Apple store leader