2:1 Email Memo for Formal Report Proposal (Revised on Mar 12)

MEMORANDUM

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, Instructor, University of British Columbia

From: Miranda Tang, Student <mtang78@student.ubc.ca>

Date: February 22, 2023

Subject: Formal report proposal has been posted on the team forum

In response to Assignment 1 in Unit 2, I have posted my formal report proposal on my team forum, Segfault Team. Below is a summary of the content and an attached copy of my proposal.

My proposal includes the following:

• Audience Description – Dr. Wang, the Director of the Chinese Language Program at UBC;
  • Introduction of Topic – The Chinese language program at UBC and deficiencies in the current educational approaches, particularly in listening training;
  • Statement of Problem – A lack of effective training in listening skills in the non-heritage 100- and 200-level courses offered by the Chinese language program at UBC;
  • Proposed Solutions – Combining a strategic approach with extensive listening exercises;
  • Scope of Questions – Existing instructional strategies, possible enhancements, the efficacy of real materials, etc;
  • Types of Primary and Secondary Sources – Survey with students enrolled in Chinese language courses, informal interviews with TAs, and a literature review on the most effective teaching strategies for listening training;
  • My Qualifications – Bachelor’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, a comprehensive understanding of teaching theories and methods, and abundant volunteer experience in teaching;
  • Conclusion – Summarizes the proposal’s intent by suggesting ways in which teachers in Chinese language courses at UBC can better support their students in developing listening skills.

Please let me know if you require any additional information or have any questions about my formal report proposal.

Encl.

Word doc: 2.1 Formal Report Proposal – Miranda Tang

PDF: 2.1 Formal Report Proposal – Miranda Tang