Assignment 2.1 – Formal Report Proposal for How to Better Support Note-Takers to Improve Learning Experience for Students at UBC

To: Erika Paterson, Instructor of English 301 <erika.paterson@ubc.ca>

From: Cheka Duheme, English 301 Student <cheka@student.ubc.ca>

Date: February 24, 2023

Subject: How to Better Support Note-Takers to Improve Learning Experience for Students at UBC

Introduction

Students spend considerable funds attending undergraduate, graduate, and continuing study programs at The University of British Columbia (UBC). Students with or without disabilities should have access to the best possible resources to facilitate their learning. Students with disabilities have access to note-takers that provide a valuable service by taking clear, detailed, and complete lecture notes for courses offered at the university. However, there is a lack of resources to better support the program, which causes a shortage of note-takers, low-quality notes taken, and dissatisfaction among note-takers and students with disabilities.

Intended Audience 

This formal report proposal is being written for the co-directors (Sarah Knitter and Kuan Foo) of university’s accessibility centre. They have the authority to make meaningful changes to the note-taking program as it oversees training, resources, and compensation for note-takers while maintaining the standards of the note-taking program. Additionally, it is worth addressing the president of the labor union (CUPE 2278 – Emily Cadger), as the union does not protect note-takers, and having unprotected status as note-takers could negatively impact the program.

Proposed Problem 

Although we have a note-taking program in place at the university, there is a lack of resources for note-takers to assist students with disabilities in writing notes in their courses. This lack of resources ranges from training, compensation, and feedback given by the accessibility centre. Ultimately, this impacts not only note-takers but the students that need note-takers.

Proposed Solution

• Proportional Pay to Labour Given: Note-takers are paid by term and earn 337 dollars per three-credit course. A proportional pay plan (hourly or term) can result in more note-takers joining the program and reducing client stress about finding a note-taker for their course.
  • Transparency of Job Description: Note-takers often take more than one client per course and get paid the same regardless of the number of clients per course, meaning they send notes to multiple people that may require different accommodations in note-style. This is an additional administrative task that takes time. In order to ease the burden on note-takers, it may be beneficial to limit the number of clients per course, and increase the number of note-takers for a high-volume course.
  • Training and Support for Note-Takers: Note-taking is a simple task. However, getting feedback is is an important step in making sure that notes are helpful to students. The quality of the program could be improved by holding training or feedback sessions with the accessibility centre.

Scope of Research

These are questions that I will attempt to address in my formal report:

1. What are the current strengths and weaknesses in the Centre for Accessibility support of note-takers?
  2. What are the current limitations of resources for note-takers and students in the program?
  3. How do the current limitations of resources impact note-takers and students in the program?
  4. How would implementing new practices improve job satisfaction for note-takers?
  5. How would implementing new practices improve the accessibility of lecture material to students?
  6. How does implementing new practices improve the relationship between the program, its note-takers, and its students?

Methods of Research

To explore the research topic that I’ve proposed. These are the primary methods that I’ll be using to conduct my research:

• Survey to Accessibility Note-Takers: Conduct an anonymous survey with note-takers to gather data on experiences with support, resources, and ways to improve the program.
  • Survey to Accessibility Clients: Conduct an anonymous survey with students to gather data on experiences with support, resources, and ways to improve the program.
  • Interview an Accessibility Note-Taker: Focused on giving a balanced perspective on the relationship between note-takers and the Centre for Accessibility.
  • Interview an Accessibility Clients: Focused on giving a balanced perspective on the relationship between students and the Centre for Accessibility.

My Qualifications

I previously worked as a note-taker for the department of Asian Studies at the University of British Columbia. While working as a note-taker, I have encountered roadblocks with the program with requesting feedback on my notes or how the pay is not proportional to the labour given by note-takers. Furthermore, I’m aware of the issues that impact my peers that have disabilities. They experience roadblocks in their learning when the quality of notes is poor. This can be frustrating as there are no channels to give constructive feedback.

Conclusion

In summary, students pay to attend and learn at The University of British Columbia (UBC). It is crucial that students have the best possible resources to assist in their studies. This research would allow me to examine and analyze the current opinions of note-takers and students on the note-taking program while highlighting the valuable (and rewarding) work that note-takers do. Moreover, to help make recommendations to improve the overall experience for note-takers and students at The University of British Columbia (UBC).

Thank-you for taking the time to read this formal report proposal. I look forward to hearing your feedback.

References in MLA8

The Centre for Accessibility. “Notetakers.” Student Services – Faculty & Staff Resources. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, 2020. https://rb.gy/hmhlkk.

CUPE 2278. “About Our Union.” Who We Are. CUPE 2278, Vancouver, 2020. https://rb.gy/d9u8ok.

2 comments on “Assignment 2.1 – Formal Report Proposal for How to Better Support Note-Takers to Improve Learning Experience for Students at UBC
  1. erikapaterson says:

Hello Cheka,

Thank you for posting this proposal for a Formal Report. This looks like a valuable investigation. You will want to find a specific reader(s) or office for this report before you begin. I am wondering if there are other issues with the resources or services provided by the Centre of Accessibility? You might want to investigate this further. For example, what kind of information is made available to faculty about students with special accessibility needs? Just a thought. I look forward to reading your progress report. Thanks.

• Cheka says:

Hi Professor Paterson,

Thank-you for the feedback. I have made the revisions as requested (in the post). Cheers.