Email Memorandum for Formal Report Proposal

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, ENGL 301 Instructor, <erika.paterson@ubc.ca>

From: Salma Ismail, ENGL 301 Student, <ismailsalma27@gmail.com>

Date: March 9, 2023 

Subject: Memo- Re: Formal Report Proposal (Enhancing Newcomer Youth Mental Health Programs in South Vancouver) 

As per the 2.1 Assignment, I have completed the formal report proposal and have posted it on my Team forum, Team SJGG. I have also attached a copy to this email. I have read your email concerning collecting personal information about the mental health issues of newcomer youth and have made adjustments accordingly. 

The proposal includes the following:

Audience: South Vancouver Neighbourhood House (SVNH), a non-profit organization that provides services to newcomer youth with funding from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). 

Introduction: Provides background information about the newcomer youth population in South Vancouver and the barriers they face as they settle in the city. 

Statement of Problem: Identifies adverse mental health problems and the gap in services for newcomer youth.  

Proposed Solution: Gather the opinions of staff working directly with the population. The gathered information will then be used to conduct a comparative analysis between newcomer youth who have accessed mental health services since they arrived in Canada and those who have not to identify which strategies work well for newcomer youth programs and where there are gaps from the perspective of frontline workers. 

Scope: Three components to the proposal; identify how newcomer youth define mental health and what supports are accessible to them, provide a quantitative image of the demographic and their relationship with mental health and address barriers that prevent newcomer youth from accessing mental health services. 

Method: Interview and gather information directly from SVNH staff on the mental health needs of newcomer youth, what supports are currently offered and the barriers and limitations they face that make it challenging to address identified gaps. 

Qualifications: My role as a current staff member and frontline work with the demographic and SVNH staff. 

Conclusion: The feasibility and consequence of addressing this issue in the South Vancouver Community. 

Please let me know of any changes to clarify the proposal and its components. 

Kind regards, 

Salma Ismail 

ENGL 301 Student. 

ENGL 301 SALMA ISMAIL FORMAL REPORT Proposal