Biography

Aleem

BCS Student (Bachelor of Computer Science, 1st year)

As far as academics go, my previous degree was in Biology, with a focus on Neuroscience. Through reading on my own, as well as experiences in upper-level class projects, I came to realize that Neuroscience as a field was concerned more with accumulating data than building a framework, which explains why something is the way it is. Never once was the topic broached of why organisms even need brains, or how our brains manage to perform very complex tasks without using much in the way of energy. Data accumulation has tremendous value, but understanding the brain remains an elusive task, and it may take an entirely new approach to unravel its mysteries.

I chose to pursue a degree in BCS because I believe that it will grant me the tools needed for this novel approach. Ideally,  I will be able to specialize in Mathematics/Statistics with the goal of being able to deepen our understanding of Biology/Neuroscience. In addition, I want to explore other areas of the field, learn a wide array of skills, and see what I may enjoy. I’m hopeful I can develop the skills needed to pursue a career in computational neuroscience. I anticipate spending time in software-related roles, developing the expertise needed to be competent in this very challenging area.

Outside of these areas, I have an academic interest in History and Jungian Psychology.