Unit 2 Reflection Blog

In Unit 2, we were instructed to begin the process of our formal reports and our application packages. This unit was aimed to help us students learn to do professional reports and start the process of networking with the use of LinkedIn. This allowed us to learn more about the professional techniques of writing.

LinkedIn Best Practices

One of the application package processes was to create a LinkedIn account, research some of the best practices using LinkedIn and post onto the team forum for our team members to read. After exploring the best ways to use LinkedIn and what could amplify your profile, I was surprised to see that there were many different ways to build connections from LinkedIn. One central point I learned was that more than having a profile was needed; you must keep your profile updated and stay active on LinkedIn to help build more connections and for people to find you. After completing this assignment, I have used what my peers in my team have researched, as well as my own research, to help maximize my own LinkedIn profile for better usage of networking on the website.

Formal Report Proposal and Outline

The primary assignment for Unit 2 was to begin the research process of our formal report. The first part of the assignment was brainstorming ideas about which we would be interested in writing our formal reports. This was a difficult task for me as I could not come up with a problem in my community. I initially came up with the idea of changing the times between classes for easier accessibility for students to walk between classes. However, Professor Paterson informed me that adding times between classes was not a feasible solution, so I had to come up with another idea and write a new proposal. I chose a problem I encountered recently: experiencing prolonged wait times at Cactus Club Cafe. While writing this proposal, I came up with a feasible solution. The best research mode was distributing surveys to customers and employees about the current situation at Cactus Club Cafes and some suggestions for solutions they might like to see. Once Professor Paterson approved my proposal, I went on to the outline, detailing my final formal report. This entire process was very informative because it gave me a glimpse of what writing a formal report will be like and has helped prepare me for future formal reports.

Peer Review and Revision Process

In Unit 2, we were asked to peer review one of our team members’ formal report proposals. I had the honour of reviewing Byung-Sun’s proposal, where I analyzed his work and gave some suggestions of what could be revised. Reviewing another person’s work was hard because I had never felt I had the authority to critique someone else’s work. Having gone through this process has given me insight into another person’s work that I was able to use in my own proposal; for example, in Byung-Sun’s proposal, he did a good job explaining what a teaching assistant does in the classroom and why his proposal of enhancing continuous support for teaching assistants was necessary. I brought that into my proposal by better explaining customers’ hardships when the restaurant is busy, which is why an online waitlist system should be implemented. I also added in the intended audience in my own proposal which was a suggestion I added for Byung-Sun’s review because I noticed that he and I both were missing that section of our proposal. Overall, the peer review allowed me to reflect on my own work more and correct my proposal to allow for better flow.

Links to Assignments:

Link to Revised Formal Report Proposal: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30199c2022w2/2023/03/19/assignment-2-3-revised-formal-report-proposal-4/

Link to Peer Review of my Proposal: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl30199c2022w2/2023/02/27/96021/