Self Assessment – Reflection Blog

The three-month English 301 course has given me a golden opportunity to learn new writing techniques.  Most importantly, it has given me a valuable self-assessment tool to help improve my writing skill.  I can now write correspondences and reports with greater confidence.

From all the assignments, I found that my tone and my writing style were professional.  My persuasive writing was very strong; and I could develop clear messages to gain the agreements from the readers.  That being said, I found myself very weak in citing references as I have been out of school for so long.  It is definitely a lost art from my tool set.  In addition, I struggled with writing concisely in many assignments.  Even though I was not long-winded, I failed to write differently with fewer words to deliver the same messages. The best way to improve in this area is to discern about the messages I convey and to revise them accordingly.

I am grateful to have taken this course, and have had more opportunities to write different types of documents, which have sharpened my writing technique. In order to continue to improve my writing skill, I will motivate myself to write leisurely and professionally after this course. By doing so, I believe that the quality of my work will be exponentially improved.