A Biography in 300 Words or Less

Page

Greetings everyone!

This is very different from any other class I have taken in university, but quite refreshing simultaneously. So far, I have taken three years if lecture-based courses in the field of Cultural Studies, with a focus on media. What drew me into this major is intricate connection economics, politics, and social interactions have within varying cultures. A culture can be overarching or as small as a fandom, nevertheless, it functions within the socio-economic and political sphere. And there are plenty of theories to break them down into simple and mind-blowing terms. I hope we can do that here, with writing.

The reason I am taking this course online is to free up my winter schedule to pursue my technical career in lighting, as it requires a fair bit of travel. With this in mind, my last couple years of my Bachelor of Arts will be devoted to topics that interest me, will improve my analytical practices, and most importantly, be fun. Now my journey through university was not always this clear. Originally, my parents convinced me to become a teacher, as I have been a tutor for years, appealing to a practical career; however, my love of theatre and production found me joining a proverbial circus, the festival industry, in British Columbia through a local company that serves the entirety of North America. And I love it.

If there is one thing I can bring to this class, it is the freedom to contribute a well-rounded perspective as an audience member and an effort to apply technical writing to fascinating topics. Looking forward to learning about you all shortly.

Morgan Brandt