Unit One Reflection

Unit One Reflection

When I started this blog one month ago, I wrote on my home page that I was looking to create a robust strategy I could use to approach formal communications in an almost formulaic way. I believe through the writing exercises involving the technical definitions, peer review, and revision process, I have taken my first step along that path.

During the definition process, I initially found myself with all sorts of concerns regarding assumed base level of knowledge the common person would have about my term, and even field in general. However, after I consulted the course text on the expanded definition techniques I became more sure of the route I was going to take. With techniques ranging from historical analysis, compare and contrast, and examples, it is almost a guarantee that the majority of your audience will be able to find at least one part of your writing relatable to them. In particular, compare and contrast and examples stand out to me, as I am more of the visual and kinesthetic – ‘work through it yourself’ type of learner.

Luckily, it seemed that the techniques I employed mostly worked for Elton Kok as well. Although he had some issues understanding my term from the sentence definition and some aspects of my writing raised unresolved questions, he was able to understand ‘Accrual Accounting’ in the context of my defined situation. In particular, he mentioned that the visual I provided and comparison were useful in clearing up some of the questions he had. Similarly, as I peer reviewed Elton’s work, it was insightful to see how similar expansion techniques could be applied to a term from a completely different field. Although he had chosen some different techniques, the diversity allowed a non-natural science reader like myself to understand the term with little difficulty. I believe these are good examples of how employing multiple expansion techniques ensures the greatest chance of successfully delivering your message to your audience.

In revising my work based on Elton’s feedback, I was able to specifically identify blind spots I initially missed from the perspective of the non-technical audience. Areas that I thought I had initially covered, including questions raised from the compare and contrast, were revisited to emphasis the benefits of using ‘Accrual Accounting’ versus ‘Cash Accounting’. While the comparison was made as an aid to relate the more familiar topic to readers (cash accounting), I learned that any aid employed should not raise more questions than it answers. In balancing explanations that are brief, I must also ensure that they are comprehensive enough to leave curious readers satisfied of any anticipated questions.

Thanks for reading,

Richard

Revised Definition: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2020wa/2020/10/06/assignment-13-revised-definition-of-accrual-accounting/

Peer review by Elton Kok: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2020wa/2020/10/04/assignment-13-peer-review-of-definition-of-a-accrual-accounting/