Compiling a Web Folio

Vancouver in Snow

I really enjoyed the process of creating this web folio. Initially I anticipated spending most of the time revising previous writings because I slacked and did not edit them as the term goes. However, I ended up spending a lot more time choosing between themes, browsing background pictures, and formatting my writings. The sense of accomplishment given by this progress is unparalleled. 

This theme brings a sense of sophistication, and I really like the pictures that come with it. In addition, I picked four seasons of Vancouver for four reflections. They are beautiful and shows the progression of time (and hopefully my writing skills). Also, each page was carefully formatted for better readability. 

I have never been good at designing. Even as a software developer, I avoided doing any frontend (interface that users interact with) work because I know it’s going to look bad, but this experience is special. Maybe I have picked up some design thinking along the way, or it’s simply because WordPress provides really good themes. I guess both. 

Apart from making it beautiful, I also thought about my target audience, and decided to make it a platform to showcase my technical communication skills – they are more and more needed in the tech industry these days, and having them is an asset.

Of course, a lot of effort was spent on revising and editing previous writings. Most of the editing involved using “You” Attitude, and it really soften the tone, making it more respecting. I regretted being careless and not using it in the first place. Revising memorandums and peer reviews is refreshing, and it makes me feel like pruning house plants – getting rid of the bad parts and leaves only the good-looking, meaningful parts. After editing, the improvement in quality is significant, and I was really happy. The whole editing process was a good review of all the techniques covered, including writing definitions, memos, peer reviews, email correspondence, etc. That’s indeed a lot of stuff! 

Finally, I hope you like my web folio.