Welcome to Yiyu’s ENGL 301 Blog!

English 301 is a dedicated writing course offered in an online classroom environment. During the course, you will be expected to work in three ways: independently; in consultation with your instructor; and also collaboratively in writing teams to be established by your instructor in the first unit of the course.

The course has these major purposes:

1. to introduce you through course readings and activities to the distinctive elements of writing in business, professional, and technical contexts;
  2. to provide you with opportunities to practice and perfect in a series of shorter assignments and longer projects the strategies and techniques particular to writing in these contexts;
  3. to engage you with your classmates in online discussion, peer review, and analysis of documents produced for business, professional, and technical contexts;
  4. to direct you to the considerable resources available to you through UBC’s Career Services unit;
  5. to involve you in developing and designing an online portfolio in two forms: a Linked in profile with accompanying references and a professionally designed website that also presents your resume;
  6. to encourage and assist you in reflecting on your writing and developing self-editing skills.

Being a Chinese international student, I’m excited to take this course as it would be an excellent opportunity for me to improve my professional communication skills. I believe that mastering these skills will help me better present myself and my ideas in an English-speaking work environment. In addition, I’m looking forward to practicing and perfecting the art of crafting an outstanding resume and cover letter. As the course requires working in teams and providing feedback to one another, I’m confident that I will enhance not only my technical writing abilities but also my reflection, review, editing, and developmental skills. By the end of the course, I hope to have developed a comprehensive set of communication skills that will enable me to achieve success in my future career endeavors.

To browse my pages, you can click on the links present on the sidebar situated on the left-hand side: