Myth and Criticism (Assignment 3:2)

Lee Maracle’s “Toward a National Literature” is stridently polemical, prescriptive, and programmatic; her tone is calculated to rouse and challenge. The complex of terms—literature, oratory, story, myth, criticism—she addresses with respect to nation is of the utmost interest to our project in ENGL 372.

Maracle’s dissatisfaction with Thomas King’s phrase “We are about story and nothing else” gestures toward the role she imagines for stories in recuperating and consolidating an Indigenous, national knowledge base (qtd. in Maracle 82). The power of King’s statement, of course, is its simplicity. Maracle’s concern, however, is that this pithy saying (like many such aphorisms, in which, it’s fair to say, King excels) runs the risk of being reductive and even diminishing: it may suggest a child-like exchange of anecdotes rather than a robust system of cultural knowledge. This knowledge, Maracle would insist, is vitally sustained and mediated by story but also exceeds it (89). (To be fair to King, he would probably agree with J. Edward Chamberlin on defining “story” more expansively than Maracle.) A national (Sto:lo) literature would be involved in the reclamation and redeployment of a primarily oral Indigenous knowledge whose transmission has been critically interrupted by colonialism but whose scope encompasses medicine, natural science, law—in short, every domain of knowledge represented (not to mention monopolized) by a Western episteme.

What does literature have to do with such a social, political, epistemological resurgence? This is the question posed by that difficult and complicated word “criticism.” Here we can, as Dr. Paterson has suggested, bring Maracle into conversation with Northrop Frye. It’s uncertain exactly what Maracle (or indeed anyone) is referring to when she uses the word “criticism,”—whether she is thinking of literary journalism, scholarship, review writing, or all of the above. Her description of its normative activities displays her oppositional stance toward “Euro-society”: “In Euro-society, literary criticism heightens the competition between writers and limits entry of new writers to preserve the original canon” (88). So, criticism as something evaluative and exclusive.

I believe that the idea and the history of literary criticism can actually help to make some common ground between Maracle and Frye, perhaps in ways that would change what both of them think criticism to be.

I’m in the midst of a seminar in the history of academic English criticism and can’t resist taking a short historical excursion. From its early days with the likes of Cambridge critic I.A. Richards (1893-1979), “modern” English literary criticism was centrally concerned with its social function and that of the literature it dealt with. (Maracle’s comment about the history of criticism back to Aristotle is surely an extraordinary and forceful one, but I think there is still value in not painting the European “critical tradition” (if there is such a thing) in such a broad single brushstroke (84).) In fact, Richards downplays the evaluative commitments Maracle seems to so distrust: “It is less important to like ‘good’ poetry and dislike ‘bad’, than to be able to use them both as a means of ordering our minds” (334). For all his faults, Richards is faithful to the instrumental moral and social efficacy of literary (and critical) experience; this seems not altogether different from Maracle’s desire for new stories “alter our direction or behaviour, clear old obstacles, and point us all in the direction of the good life” (a rather Aristotelian turn of phrase; 84). My main point here is a shared commitment to the social function of some kind of collective practice called “literary criticism.” Frye himself, in 1950, writes an article entitled “The Function of Criticism at the Present Time.”

What social function does Maracle imagine for an Indigenous literary criticism? It seems to be a collaborative process of construction, of “adding rafters to the house” and “learn[ing] as an ensemble” (95). Perhaps most importantly, this process is predicated on an awareness of traditional ways of knowing, of studying the “old story,” understanding one’s (or a community’s) place in it, and assessing its potential for (social, national, subjective) transformation (85). As I understand it, criticism would be a matter of getting inside the old stories, becoming at home in their workings, and so allowing the creation of new myths from them for today.

As Dr. Paterson proposes, we can see a certain kinship between this imperative to write from within the culture and the critic who writes that “as society develops, its mythical stories become structural principles of storytelling, its mythical concepts, sun-gods and the like, become habits of metaphorical thought. In a fully mature literary tradition the writer enters into a structure of traditional stories and images” (234-5). Maracle, to my mind, actually supports the systematization or theorization of such “principles” for the purpose of Indigenous self-authorship. Both thinkers support the liberating energy of the mythic imagination: while Frye may imagine the liberation from ideological “social” “mythology” Maracle envisions liberation from colonial structures of power and knowledge (237).

Frye’s particular blindnesses and prejudices are not, in some cases, to be wondered at. His argument that “The forms of literature are autonomous” goes hand in hand with the ascendant (New Critical) aesthetic idealism of the moment (234). We are left with a question: is his position inextricably bound up with colonial power and privilege or does he still have something to offer us? Could dialogues between him and someone like Lee Maracle not still be productive? Perhaps there is no real place for Frye (or me, for that matter) in Maracle’s particular project—that would be something to be accepted and respected—but there may be such a place elsewhere.

Frye, Northrop. The Bush Garden: Essays on the Canadian Imagination. Anansi, 2017.

Hanson, Erin. “Oral Traditions.” Indigenous Foundations, https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/oral_traditions/. Accessed 12 March 2021.

—. “The Residential Schools System.” Indigenous Foundations, https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/the_residential_school_system/. Accessed 12 March 2021.

Maracle, Lee. “Toward a National Literature: ‘A Body of Writing’.” Across Cultures, Across Borders Canadian Aboriginal and Native American Literatures, edited by Paul Warren DePasquale, Renate Eigenbrod, Emma LaRocque, Broadview, 2010.

“New Criticism.” Britannica.com, https://www.britannica.com/art/New-Criticism. Accessed 12 March 2021.

Richards, I.A. Practical Criticism: A Study of Literary Judgment. Edited by John Constable, Routledge, 2001.

Westacott, Emrys. “What Does It Mean to Live the Good Life?” ThoughtCo, 26 February 2020, https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-the-good-life-4038226. Accessed 12 March 2021.

5 thoughts on “Myth and Criticism (Assignment 3:2)

1. leo Yamanaka-Leclerc

Hey Conor! Great synthesis of Maracle and Frye. I’ve enjoyed your posts so far, and your reply to me on one of my recent posts – challenging me on the positions I put forward in a thoughtful way – had me thinking deeper about my own understandings of the texts we’ve been studying. VIctoria and I have already agreed to work together and have connected to Facebook and we’re wondering if you’d like to work with us! If yes, you can contact me on Facebook directly – my name there is the same as here. Regards!

2. leo Yamanaka-Leclerc

Hey Conor, I replied to your comment on my post but I’ll re-post because it’s probably easier for you to see it here. We’re also working with Lenaya! Victoria suggested an email chain, if you want to just comment your email here I can give it to Victoria so she can start it up. A google doc would also work, for doing the work.

3. SamanthaStewart

Hi Connor,
    I enjoyed reading through your answer! I wrote about the same question, and it was great to see a different take.
    Your mention of Maracle’s opinion on “we are story and nothing else” was one I also focused on, however I did not compare as you did with her comment that “stories, however, are much more fun, seemingly innocuous, less harmful, and much more entertaining than science or medicine” (82). I found this impactful, and when looking at criticism from this perspective, there is definitely a need to move more towards changing our current understanding of what ‘literature’ is. Like you mention in your quotation from Dr. Paterson, society is constantly changing, and we look towards stories as structures to guide our understanding.
    This is another area that Frye touches upon as well: “The reader of this book […] may still learn a good deal about the literary imagination as a force and function of life generally” (399). Your post, and these thoughts, have all brought me back to my own growth, where I would seek novels and stories for the moral and psychological knowledge they contained.
    Your post – and Maracle’s article – also had me recalling Victoria’s post (1:3) on fanfiction. This is a common genre for traditional European canonical literature, and is highly engaging for students. ‘Green Grass’ is almost fitting into that genre, with the re-writing of stories to fit within a more modern context. I wonder, do you see this as a possible future for such stories that figures like Maracle hold?
    I noticed that you have also left a comment on my post; I look forward to furthering this conversation there!

1. ConnorPage Post author

Hi Samantha,
      Thank you so much for your comment. I think your (and Victoria’s) mention of fan fiction is a really fruitful one; the kind of ongoing transformation and regeneration within a shared body of cultural knowledge it implies seems well in keeping with Maracle’s vision of writing from within the culture.
      Your point about turning to literary texts for knowledge or comfort reminds me (1) of Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick’s idea of “reparative” (vs. “paranoid”) reading and (2) of a fine sentence in a book by Terence Cave called “Thinking with Literature”: “Without these [modes of imaginative simulation], and the equally varied modes of immersion they promote, there would be no empathy, no embodied ecology affording ‘downstream’ ethical or social imaginings” (150). Which is just to say that sometimes we can get so caught of in the business of critique that we lose sight of what the experience of “literature” really offers us and what we can constructively do with it.
      Sorry for barraging you with citations! I just found what you said very resonant in several ways.
      Thanks and all the best.