Assignment 3:5, Q5 | What’s in a Name?

Posted by in ENGL 372 99C Blog Assignments, Unit 3

5. Narratives assume, in Blanca Chester’s words, “a common matrix of cultural knowledge.” The Four Old Indians are perhaps the best examples of characters that belong to a matrix of cultural knowledge, which excludes many non-First Nations. What were your first questions about and impressions of these characters? How have you come to understand their place in the novel.

It is undeniable that the characters in Green Grass, Running Water are exceptionally layered and complex. Of these characters, arguably the most layered are the “Four Old Indians.” We first see these characters, introduced as Lone Ranger, Ishmael, Robinson Crusoe, and Hawkeye, as they prepare to “tell the story.” On my first reading, my initial thought was that were young boys playing at being some of their favourite characters and getting ready to embark on a make-believe adventure. I pictured the characters in homemade costumes huddled secretively in a treehouse or fort – but as the first part of the story progressed and we followed the story of First Woman, I began to realize who these “young boys” might actually be. Throughout the novel, King refers to the Four Old Indians by many names; First Woman/Lone Ranger/Mr. Red, Changing Woman/Ishmael/Mr. White, Thought Woman/Robinson Crusoe/Mr. Black, and Old Woman/Hawkeye/Mr. Blue. Their gender changes depending on who is discussing them, and they have a unique relationship with time that allows them to appear across all the threads of the story. When I realized that “Lone Ranger” was, in fact, First Woman, I was forced to re-examine my initial thoughts. I began to understand that the tendrils of story were much more entwined than I had expected and started to think about possible connections between the changing appellations.

The names given to the Four Old Indians when we first see them correspond to well-known characters from Western culture: The Lone Ranger (Western books, radio, TV, and movies), Ishmael (Moby Dick), Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Crusoe), and Hawkeye (frontier hero, films, MASH). As it happens, I have no first-hand experience with any of these stories; I have never read or seen any of their books or films! So these particular references may have been less impactful for me than for those more familiar with the source material. Despite that fact, these characters are recognizable to me due to their prominence in the culture in which I am surrounded (with the exception of Hawkeye – I had never encountered the Natty Bumppoo character; instead, having recently watched all the MCU films, my mind immediately went to the Marvel comic book hero. Oops!). They are part of my “common matrix of cultural knowledge” (Chester); while I may never have experienced their stories as originally written, I nevertheless have some concept of who they might be. To me, the Lone Ranger is linked to the William Tell Overture and horses; Ishmael to adventure on the high seas; and Robinson Crusoe to survival on a desert island – only Hawkeye is a blank canvas for me.

Conversely, the characters of First Woman, Changing Woman, Thought Woman, and Old Woman are (for me) new figures. The way that King writes them does bring to mind associations from my own cultural matrix: pairing First Woman with “Ahdamn” in a garden links her inexorably with the Biblical Eve in my mind, Changing Woman puts me in mind of shapeshifters, Thought Woman reminds me of Athena from the Greek pantheon, and Old Woman brings to mind the archetypical kindly wise Grandmother. However, I recognize that these characters must mean much more, and quite likely something much different, to those for whom they are firmly entrenched in the cultural matrix.

As I become more familiar with Green Grass, Running Water and the many layers of the characters within, I find myself uncovering more and more references, oblique or overt, that I only now begin to understand as I dive into research. And I think that this is exactly what King had in mind when he wrote the novel. In order to get the most out of it, you have to “listen up” – to be willing to re-think your initial assumptions and approach the novel with an open mind. Including the Four Old Indians, characters approachable from different cultural matrixes, allows for a unique mix of familiar and unknown that serves as a springboard into the view from the other side.

Additional Thoughts on Lesson 3:2

Just a quick comment: I was so thrilled to watch “I’m Not the Indian You Had in Mind,” as it stars Lorne Cardinal – who I know best as Sgt. Davis Quinton on Corner Gas! As I mentioned in some of my early posts, Corner Gas is much loved by my family and Lorne Cardinal as Davis is particularly compelling. Check out this interview with Lorne Cardinal to learn a bit more about him – he also touches on cultural connections between different communities, in this case between common ground found between Indigenous and deaf community experiences. 🙂

———————————————————————————————————————–

Cardinal, Lorne. Interview by Lindsay Richardson. “Actor Lorne Cardinal Wants Indigenous People to Break Through the White Ceiling.” APTN News. 17 May 2019. https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/actor-lorne-cardinal-wants-indigenous-people-to-break-through-the-white-ceiling/. Accessed 18 Mar 2021.

Chester, Blanca. “Green Grass Running Water: Theorizing the World of the Novel.” Canadian Literature 161-162. 1999. https://canlit.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/canlit161-162-GreenChester.pdf. Accessed 18 Mar 2021.

Corner Gas Official. “Best of Davis Quinton | Corner Gas Season 5.” YouTube. 3 Apr 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgZ01HKMxVs. Accessed 18 Mar 2021.

King, Thomas. Green Grass, Running Water . Toronto: Harper Collins, 1993. Kindle Edition.

King, Thomas. “I’m not the Indian You had in Mind.” Video. Producer Laura J. Milliken. National Screen Institute. 2007. Web. http://www.nsi-canada.ca/2012/03/im-not-the-indian-you-had-in-mind/. Accessed 18 Mar 2021.

“Pop culture and circumstance.” The Writer. 8 July 2015. https://www.writermag.com/blog/pop-culture-and-circumstance/. Accessed 18 Mar 2021.