Assignment 1:5 | The Witches’ Conference, Re-told

Posted by in ENGL 372 99C Blog Assignments, Unit 1

Spoken:

****************************************************************************************************

Written:

I have a great story to tell you. It begins, as you might expect, like this:

Once upon a time…

…In a land far away, there lived a group of people who knew nothing of evil. Every night, this community would gather around the fire and listen to the Storyteller. Some nights the Storyteller told new stories; other nights the stories were familiar. But the best stories were told when the Storyteller would answer a question. For if anyone in the community had a question they couldn’t answer, they would bring it to the Storyteller and a new story would be told in response.

One night the youngest Farmer asked the Storyteller: “Storyteller, I am afraid of the winter. What must I do?” So the Storyteller told of the Ants and the Grasshopper, and the Farmer knew that in order to survive the coming months they would need to work hard to bring in the harvest.

The next night the youngest Carpenter asked the Storyteller: “Storyteller, I am afraid I will never finish this project. What must I do?” So the Storyteller told of the Crow and the Pitcher, and the Carpenter knew that by continuing to work slowly and steadily, bit by bit, the job would eventually be done.

Then one night the youngest of all asked the Storyteller: “Storyteller, what is it that you are afraid of?”

The Storyteller did not want to answer, but all the members of the community implored them, and the Storyteller couldn’t bear to let them down. So the Storyteller told a story of fear, and slaughter, and disease and blood and murder. And the community recoiled and begged the Storyteller to take back the horrible story, for now they too were afraid. But the Storyteller could not, for once a story is told, it cannot be untold. So you have to be careful with the stories you tell. And you have to watch out for the stories that you are told (King, ch. 1).

Reflection:

Our assignment for this week was to take the story told by Leslie Silko in her book Ceremonies (quoted in Thomas King’s The Truth About Stories) about how evil came into the world and change it in any way we wished – so long as the ending remained the same.

First, a few notes on my re-telling of the story. When considering the idea of a story telling how evil came into the world, I thought immediately of a sense of innocence, of childhood, that would likely reign in a world free of evil. This put me in mind of children’s stories, which influenced how I structured my version of the story: I wrote as if I were telling a story to a child, and included younger characters. I also included references to stories that I heard frequently as a child: Aesop’s fables.

I chose to use Aesop’s fables as I knew that my family would be familiar with them and understand the references I was making. For anyone reading the above version, I took advantage of the power of hypertext to include links to the fables I referenced in the written version of the story above! If I were telling this story verbally to an audience who may not understand these vague references, I might word things differently; I would hope that, should anyone else tell this story, they would be able to substitute stories that have similar morals that their intended audience would understand.

In fact, including Aesop’s fables as a method of relating this story to others I knew my family would be familiar with made me consider the ways in which stories rely on other stories. When I chat with my brother, our conversations are filled with references to stories we both love; quotes from Corner Gas, references to fantasy and sci-fi novels, or reminders of obscure family anecdotes. While this is delightful for us, it does have the effect of alienating anyone else listening to our conversations; my boyfriend was quite lost when he first met my brother and heard us talking together! The same principle applies to stories: if a story references another, or uses a metaphor regarded as so common in a society it does not need explanation, the reader may feel alienated or lost. This in turn reminded me of a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode from Season 5 entitled “Darmok”. In this episode, Captain Picard must learn to communicate with a species that speaks entirely in metaphor: quite the challenge when you don’t know the history behind the metaphor!

So, what did telling this re-imagined story teach me about storytelling? Most of all, it reminded me of the differences between oral, written, and hybrid communication. When I initially wrote my version of this story, I wrote it down. But when I started to read it aloud, I realized my speech patterns were slightly different than my written “voice” – not horrendously, but enough that I made quite a few small edits! Once I had a speech-friendly version, my acting training kicked in and I started to memorize my “lines” with pre-determined emphasis and flow. For the most part, this dictated how I “performed” the story when telling it to friends and family; very little changed in terms of what I said or how I said it from one telling to another. Despite that, there was a noticeable shift in energy, for lack of a better word, when I told the story to different people. In other words, the identity of the listener affected me as the storyteller in some intangible way.  And now I am telling the story in a hybrid form; with both written text and a recording. How will this version be interpreted? I won’t know until I post!

I had great fun with this assignment! I am so looking forward to reading everyone’s version of the story, and sincerely hope you all enjoyed this one!

“Aesop.” American Literature, https://americanliterature.com/author/aesop. Accessed 1 Feb. 2021.

COLORED PENCIL magazine. “February CPM Art Challenge Photo ‘Storytime’ #1502.” Flickr, 19 Jan 2015. https://www.flickr.com/photos/61446950@N06/16348326236. Accessed 1 Feb. 2021.

“Darmok (episode).” Fandom: Memory Alpha, https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Darmok_(episode). Accessed 1 Feb. 2021.

janwillemsen. “aesops fables Milo winter 1919 ill the ants and the grasshopper.” Flickr, 18 Feb. 2014, https://www.flickr.com/photos/8725928@N02/12624447193. Accessed 1 Feb. 2021.

janwillemsen. “aesops fables Milo winter 1919 ill schutblad a.” Flickr, 18 Feb. 2014, https://www.flickr.com/photos/8725928@N02/12624157583. Accessed 1 Feb. 2021.

King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. PeterboughAnansi Press. 2003. Kindle Ed.

“The Ant and the Grasshopper – An Aesop’s Fable.” Tales with Morals, 2018, http://www.taleswithmorals.com/aesop-fable-the-ant-and-the-grasshopper.htm. Accessed 1 Feb. 2021.

“The Crow and the Pitcher – An Aesop’s Fable.” Tales with Morals, 2018, http://www.taleswithmorals.com/aesop-fable-the-crow-and-the-pitcher.htm. Accessed 1 Feb. 2021.