What Contributes to a Home?…

I have read a lot of your stories during the past few days. Even knowing the fact that we all came from all walks of life, I still find these stories stunning and interesting for I have never had such experiences before. Furthermore, I also realized so many similarities among our unique stories. This is a list of my observations:

Not a Specific Location

‘Home’ does not necessarily have to be a specific place. As Stephanie mentioned in her story, she found different types of dance studios would still contribute to her sense of home. And Alanna also said in her story that “I don’t need personal pictures or specific people to feel at home”. Home could be anywhere we feel comfortable, even without an exact location.

Your Beloved Ones

I also observed that many of us believe ‘home’ can be people or things that you are emotionally attached. In my own blog, I have mentioned that my definition of home could never be completed without the presences of my family and plush toys. Mia found her home as a place “where my dogs feel most comfortable”. Our definitions of home are much connected to the people or things we care the most.

Language

After reading the stories of Claudia and Natasha, I also reflected on the aspect of language contributing the sense of home. I truly had the same feeling of being an ‘outsider’ when I first moved to Canada. Though I can speak fluent English, I never have a feeling of emerging into the Canadian society. However, only when I’m surrounded by Cantonese in Richmond, which is my mother tongue, I finally find the sense of home. Though there aren’t my family and plush toys, I found Richmond is the place nearest to home.

Calder, Mia. “Lesson 2:1; Assignment 2:2 — Home”. Summer studies: English 470. 6 Jun 2016. Web. 10 Jun 2016.

Gillard, Claudia. “2:2 IF THE LABEL FITS”. Whose Home & Native Land?. 7 Jun 2016. Web. 10 Jun 2016.

Heine, Natasha. “Assignment 2.2 : Home”. Natasha Heine’s ENGL 470 Blog. 6 Jun 2016. Web. 10 Jun 2016.

Joy, Alanna. “Assignment 2.2”. Alanna’s English 470 Blog. 7 Jun 2016. Web. 10 Jun 2016.

Michaud, Stefanie. “2:2 This was my 8th move in less than 3 years”. ENG 470 Summer 2016. 6 Jun 2016. Web. 10 Jun 2016.