What CIVL 598K/475 Alumni are saying

This is one of the most important classes to me and I am sure I am going to be referencing this material in my future job.
I am greatly missing your class this semester, and the insightful conversations that came with it. It has been really interesting seeing the topics transfer over to the rest of my professional career …. CIVL 475 has most definitely been one of the most influential courses in my academic career!
We are currently working on a decarbonization project as well as standing up our global climate change practice. I can tell you for certain, there has been considerable carryover from what you taught us into my budding career! Having my portfolio developed has proved to be an extremely valuable resource and reference guide.
“Never has a UBC Engineering class I’ve taken been so innovative in learning methods and student development. The small classroom setting allowed students to engage with the material and each other to stimulate dialogue and co-create solutions to challenging environmental problems. This class called-to-action forward thinking practices such as systems thinking, ecosystem services valuation and green infrastructure – all of which need to be front of mind in today’s design. I feel like I am now a step ahead of my peers because I have been exposed to these fundamentals and can carry them forward in my responsibility for human and environmental health as an engineer. I was encouraged to voice my opinions, share my insights and question the status quo in what was definitely one of the most interesting and fun courses I’ve taken at UBC! The material is so relevant I have carried on to explore many of the avenues introduced, even after the course has finished.”
Just thought I’d write to tell you that about 3 interviews I’ve had with firms brought up topics we covered in the course, from Systems Thinking to Environmentally Conscious Development & surprisingly one firm asked me to draw a Concept Map.
Thanks for being a great professor and for instilling a greater understanding of environmental stewardship in me! This class has been very enjoyable.
I am definitely missing our 475 discussions this semester.