BC Student Loans

If some are not fully aware, applications for BC Student Loans have been out since the beginning of June (I think?). I just finished my application… I think UBC Okanagan says that applications should be sent in by July 15 in order for the money to come in time to pay for the first installment of tuition payments.

Speaking of tuition payments, I saw my financial summary through my SSC account. WOW. Over $4,000 for first year courses alone. That doesn’t include housing, textbooks, and other fees. I should’ve anticipated this when I was using the UBC Cost Calculator, but I don’t think the reality set in until now. SO MUCH MONEY. But that’s the harsh reality when you go to university, I guess. I also find it to be good motivation – if you’re paying to go to school, might as well work hard so you don’t waste your money… or in this case, the government’s money 😛

Anyways, back to Student Loans…

At first, the application looked extremely difficult due to the tons of financial information I had to fill out, but it turns out that many of it didn’t apply to me, so I basically spent half an hour filling everything out with $0.00 😀 There was one part where it asked me how much I had in my bank acount, so that was a bit embarrasing since I have less than $40 in it… but not too bad of a process overall.

Now all I need to do is get my parents to fill out the Parent Appendix form in order to fully complete the application… that could take a while :S

To anyone who needs to apply for Student Loans and haven’t yet, here’s the link!http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/studentaidbc/apply-online/student-loan