Monthly Archives: August 2012

UBCcard and UBCO Campus Tour

My brand new UBCcard!

I have finally arrived! I don’t move in residence until September 2nd, but I thought it would be nice to see the UBC Okanagan campus before I move in since I’ve never been there before, so I went on a campus tour! To all those who are planning to book a UBC Campus tour – book them early! Spots fill up like crazy – I booked my campus tour for today (August 22nd) in June, and it was full when I checked a few weeks later. Just letting people know πŸ˜›

Anyways, the UBCO campus really is an amazing place! Pictures really don’t do the place justice, cause seeing it in real life along with the beautiful Kelowna sunshine (and California-like heat) is really something else! The campus is extremely small as compared to the UBC Vancouver campus (well no duh LOL) but it’s not as small as I thought it would be. The buildings and lecture halls are exceptionally nice, and one of the lecture halls our tour group went into is actually the lecture hall for my CHEM 121, MATH 100, and PHYS 112 classes, so it was good to see where 3/4 of my classes will take place πŸ™‚ I really was impressed, and now I’m really excited to start my first year experience! My mom and I took pictures around campus (Like the Asian tourists we are) since the new buildings looked so amazing. Although I’m not in Engineering/Management/Education, I can see myself going into the EME building a lot to study just cause the building is so quiet. And pretty πŸ™‚

After the campus tour, there was still enough time for me to get my student ID and UPass, and so I did! The building to get your student ID (called the UBCcard) is located at the UNC building, just go up the first set of stairs you see and turn right. There’s a large counter there where you can not only get your UBCcard, but you can also get your tuition paid there as well! For those with BC Provincial Exam Scholarships, you can also get the voucher signed there πŸ™‚

Well, that’s done and over with hahaha! I’m really excited for first year to start! πŸ˜€

Booklists/Textbook Stress!

Thank goodness I don’t have to buy this much textbooks – at least I don’t think I have to…

Oh, I remember back in June after highschool ended – I had anticipated textbook shopping would be one of the funnest experiences in terms of university preparation. Everything would go smoothly, and I would be able to quickly enjoy my textbooks and the smell of their new-ness (or used-ness).

Boy, was I wrong. I don’t have my textbooks yet either πŸ™

Continue reading

Room Assignments and Meal Plans!

I finally got my room assignment today! After learning what room I’ll be living in, feelings of actually going to university are starting to kick in!

I’ll be living on the Valhalla Residence! I won’t be saying my room number – Β no stalkers allowed!

My residence building for first year - Valhalla!

But I’m still a bit iffy about the whole sharing a bathroom with someone else idea… but maybe it’s better than sharing a bathroom with the whole floor? I have yet to contact the person I will be sharing a bathroom with for the next year, but I hope things will turn out well!

Then there’s the Meal Plan due on August 15. More expenses, great :'( I got the Bronze Plan, so my first payment was around $620, and the second payment is around $2200 (due on October). Now I just have to find a way to live with that much money from September to April. This is where my budgeting skills come into play! πŸ™‚

There’s also a Silver and Gold Plan, but I got the Bronze since it was the cheapest option, plus I can just add more money on my plan just in case I run out of money Β after spending all my money on Starbucks and Tim Hortons πŸ˜›

Bookists also came out today, August 13th. But since the UBCO Online Bookstore is being a pain and not showing me my booklist, I might have to wait until tomorrow. I think I can wait though – the insanely high textbook prices will probably drive me nuts. Maybe I’ll do the book rental program?

Around 3 more weeks until I go to Kelowna (AKA K-Town) !!! It’s gonna be such an adventure, but I’m gonna enjoy Vancouver with the little time I have left :'(