Facilitation for Social Contexts of Learning

Sharissa and Angela’s Facilitation Video

68 Responses to Facilitation for Social Contexts of Learning

1. Sharissa Desrochers says:

Classmates, please paste your video links in the comment section. Then, please comment on 1 or 2 of your classmates’ videos. Thanks!!!! -Sharissa & Angela

• angela cowin says:

There’s also been a snag with audio only files. There are two possible options.

1. Make a movie with your audio file and a photo; then upload to YouTube. YouTube support gives this advice. It’s pretty quick to do, if you have iMovie https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1696878?topic=2888648&hl=en.

2. Post it on our Gdrive under EPSE 501 “Sharissa and Angela Facilitation”. In your comment, say that is where the class can access it. I have put my own audio test there and it seems to work.

2. Sharissa Desrochers says:

To clarify, please post your video link in the “leave a reply” section of this page. Cherie left her video in the youtube comments section. I see how our instructions were unclear. Please post your links and comments on THIS page, THANKS!!!!!

• simon kwok says:

I can’t seem to find a way to end my clip not so abruptly in Plotagon.

• robyn evans says:

Great job Simon! I love the example of Google (and micro-gravity!) you used. Are you doing SSEP? Your characters were effective in highlighting the 3 orders – great understanding and demonstration of the content covered this week.

• peter ritchie says:

Very engaging Plotagon Simon! I really related with your example of how using Google has become pivotal in how students access knowledge. It is a great example of Archer’s natural order of knowledge.

3. sheela john says:

I used Explain Everything on my iPad to make a slideshow. https://youtu.be/zTO2_e3C3os

• cherie nagra says:

Sheela,
      I really like how you clarified the three orders as defined by Archer. Your writing is always very succinct and provides me with a good summary of the information. Scratch is a wonderful tool that seems to work very well in your intermediate classroom. I particularly like how you related the communities of practice with the share, remix and collaborate aspects of 21st century learning. Additionally with respect to personalized learning in the new curriculum, you’ve related how you nest customize student learning to optimize their engagement. Great video.

• irendeep braich says:

I just commented on Joti’s video and she has used Explain Everything as well. I’m really liking how you both used the app for this exercise. I have not used it before, but I will definitely be trying it out soon.

As Cherie said, I appreciate your reflections and examples, Sheela. Also, you have an amazing broadcasting voice 🙂 It was very soothing to hear you present your example of 21st century e-learning in your classroom. I like how you connected your exploration of Scratch with your students to Archer’s three orders. Also, I liked how your activity became relatable and personalized for your students as they explored their interests in relation to Scratch.

4. joti chahal says:

I used Explain Everything on my iPad to describe e-learning in my social studies classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8h8heZBYro&feature=youtu.be

• irendeep braich says:

Great video and explanation, Joti! I have not used Explain Everything before, but it looks like a great app. I will definitely try it out. My example of 21st e-learning is very similar to yours. I also use by blog with my English 9 students to have them post their comments/reflections about a topic. I enjoyed reading how you connected your observations of their online activity to Archer’s three orders. I also liked how you adapted your teaching practice to engage them in e-learning as opposed to doing in-class presentations. Great job!

• robyn evans says:

Nice example Joti! I like the way you took something that is regularly a discussion, and turned it into an e-learning activity. Student comments about being able to post to the blog help to show their thinking and how your example of e-learning transformed their experience. It would be interesting to see if students experienced challenges like we read in this week’s article about constraints – time, practical/technological, and work-load related. Great job!

• davinderjit sandhu says:

I like the way you linked e-learning with the three orders of reality. The pop up statements and underlining were very effective as you clearly portrayed your message without audio.
        Blogging is becoming a very common part of the 21st century classroom. I like how the statements and comments were clearly related to the three orders of reality. I use a blog in my classroom too but it is not currently as interactive as yours. I like the fact that your students refer to it as their daily activity.

• renuka senaratne says:

Joti, I like how you used Explain Everything. I learned some new techniques from just watching your video. The way you connected the 3 social contexts of learning to students actual experiences as they participated was really effective because it showed a practical example in reality. Nifty soundtrack!

5. robyn evans says:

Here is my video – sorry the image is sideways, but after creating an audio file, and then having to recreate a video file so it could be posted to youtube, I just didn’t want to do it again (I was already well over my 30 mins!)

https://youtu.be/yTRHeV0wYOU

Robyn

• carrie bourne says:

Great example of e-learning and the three orders. You’ve thoughtfully illustrated the three orders in Khan Academy. It is also a wisely chosen e-learning tool as it comes up quite often in parent teacher conferences and conversations with parents in the community. No worries about the image, I think your thoughts are the most important.

• davinderjit sandhu says:

I really liked your simple but yet effective video of Kahn Academy. It is becoming a popular online tool for many parents and so it is nice to see how it relates to the three orders of learning.
        The information you provided was clear and concise.
        Great work Robyn!

6. irendeep braich says:

Thanks for this challenge, Angela and Sharissa! I used iMovie to create my video file.

https://youtu.be/4wWl8Rats68

Cheers,
    Iren

• carrie bourne says:

Iren,
      Absolutely love the background music! Would have been better if you and Davinder were singing though!
      Blogging seems to be a more common tool used in the classroom today. I appreciate your thoughts on your experience with blogging. I like how you connected it to the three orders and how you shared its connection to the refreshed curriculum and assessment.

• olivier salvas says:

Great video and great ideas!
      It’s important to value digital writing. It’s sometimes not as valued in school.
      I am doing blogging too! I’m curious to see how things are going for you! Are you allowing your students to use many mediums? How do you keep their privacy?
      I enjoyed the links to the revised curriculum as well.

7. carrie bourne says:

Here is my video

I used Explain Everything!

https://youtu.be/tlTM5e2kNsg

• todd millway says:

Hey Carrie,
      I agree that Twitter is a great professional tool. I haven’t been on long but I see so much great stuff. As you mention, viewing twitter feeds (professional) would be a great way for students to see examples of good online conduct.
      Don’t know if I would be brave enough to have my class on Twitter. Too many questions about it for me at the moment. Maybe in the future.
      I like the way you talk about twitter as a natural part of the day, like checking in with your kids to see if they have lunch and are feeling well. The evolution of the natural order of things.

Cheers
      Todd

• belinda scott says:

Hi Carrie
      I agree with you. I also only use Twitter as part of my professional identity. As teachers, we are held to a code of ethics and what we post on Twitter becomes part of our identity in a public domain. Twitter is an excellent example of the social order of reality. We create an identity and we create a community of link minded identities when we choose to follow other Twitter accounts. Thanks for sharing.

• renuka senaratne says:

Hi Carrie,
      I hadn’t thought of Twitter as an example so I thought your presentation was useful. As I learn to use Twitter as a professional tool I am learning how valuable a #hashtag can be. My grade 2/3 class also has a twitter account and we are learning the practical knowledge of how to use Twitter appropriately. They are learning to document what we are thinking about as we participate in the Global Read Aloud and connect to other classes around North America. We discuss what is approritate to post and my students are super excited that others may see what they think. The parents seem interested, but its the kids who are encouraging them to sign up and follow us.
      Thanks for so clearly explaining the connection between e-learning, Twitter and the 3 orders of reality.

8. davinderjit sandhu says:

I used Explain Everything for my video.

https://youtu.be/T-xpEYr–Hs

• todd millway says:

Inquiry sounds like a great way for the ELL learners to be engaged with their new language without just focusing on the mechanics of the language. I like how you have the students create stories with morals. It seems like a good way for students from different cultures to look at morals and see how they compare across cultures. Putting the books together would be a great collaborative experience for the students.

Cheers
      Todd

• olivier salvas says:

That’s awesome!
      I enjoyed how you used teaching another class as a social experience. We often link to socializing and technology with things that happen online but rarely in our physical classroom.
      I am curious to learn more about beacons now!
      Thanks Todd!:)

9. peter ritchie says:

I had never heard about Beacons until this but it seems like a very cool project full of learning opportunities for students. I like the idea of having students transfer the knowledge of how beacons work to other students in the school.

10. olivier salvas says:

Here we go!
    I used iMovie to do a Vlog ! You get a tour of my classroom and of my virutal classroom!
    Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8pXB_0ug-Q

• amelia walker says:

Oli –
      I really enjoyed seeing inside your classroom – both physically and virtually! I see a lot of things in both classrooms that I’ve done and a lot of things I would like to try. I have a website as well but I mostly use it to communicate homework and information to the parents and students. Some of the students love using it to ask me questions but it hasn’t really caught on as an online community like yours!

I wonder if you experience some of the technical constraints that I do within the VSB!?

Cheers,
      Amy

• olivier salvas says:

Hey Amy,
        I do deal with the constraints but I am guilty of using my own devices in class.
        I know many teachers are on the fence with this but I really wouldn’t be able to teach to the level I want to reach without investing in the tools myself.
        For sure, with proper support, more freedom in the choices of app, I really feel I could make this revised curriculum come to life even more.
        Good luck with the blogging and the restraints.
        Oli

• kaitlin cobleigh says:

Hi Oli,

I loved the juxtaposition of the tour of your physical classroom as you were explaining the implementation and evolution of the virtual classroom. It sounds like it really grew organically into an amazing and interactive community and social space for your students, families and for yourself. It is great that you are embracing their lives outside of the classroom as a part of their learning. The classroom doesn’t just fit inside the contained space of the school building and you have really demonstrated this with your video. Bravo! 🙂

• sheela john says:

I like how you used your classroom environment to emphasise your points, Oli!
      It is interesting how the communication in your virtual classroom shifted from you to the student, to student to student, then parents joined in too. It has created a community of learners and opened up the connection between home and school.

• olivier salvas says:

Thanks for all your comments and feedback!

11. Sharissa Desrochers says:

Oh my goodness people, your submissions are AH-MAZING! I love all of the videos! Such an excellent representation of the three orders from everybody’s point of view : )

12. amelia walker says:

I used good, old fashioned point and shoot with my good, old fashioned iPhone!

Amy 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kh7Q5TK1zI

• belinda scott says:

Your good, old fashioned point and shoot worked well. Thank you for including examples of how Explain Everything can be used. I agree that the social order of reality plays a large part with the use of iPads and the accompanying apps. The best use of an iPad is in the social setting where students have the oppotrunity to work together to create a project. Problem solving skills and collaboration are key and excellent 21st skills to be practiced.

13. belinda scott says:

Le voila! Finally done. I just want to say I related completely to the comments from students that Sharissa and Angela shared about the struggles of e-learning. There are a lot of distractions at home. My video was completed by locking myself away and I used Camtasia to record the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcgsQO7DPEo

• Sharissa Desrochers says:

hey Belinda, your video permission is set to private, can you please change it to public or unlisted? THANKS!

• jennifer mathis says:

I like your video, Belinda! I specifically appreciated how you started by setting out a set of goals, and then designing the activity to achieve those goals. I found it really interesting that the students felt self-conscious about recording themselves. I have never found this to be the case with my grade 5/6 students. It made me wonder if it’s a reflection of the older students having more self-awareness (as in the younger students are less aware of how they present themselves socially, and therefore not feeling self-conscious), but the older students not being sufficiently older to have developed the skills to feel confident with their social presentation. I wonder if this is a reflection of a process where unconscious embodied knowledge becomes conscious as both practical and discursive awareness, before it turns into practical and discursive knowledge.

• renuka senaratne says:

Hi Belinda, I like your video of Puppet pals as an example of the Social contexts of learning. I like how you pointed out the social aspect and how uncomfortable some studentswere with recording their voice and the language they are using. We often are so exciting for students to particpate in e-learning it can be overlooked that not everyone is comfortable with using new technology or particpating in e-learning. It depends on their comfort with the various types of knowledge. You remind me that I should try puppet pals with my class at some point. Great video! Thank you.

14. kaitlin cobleigh says:

Here is my video. I used screen caps from my ipad and put them into iMovie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htbdU1U6qdo

• Sharissa Desrochers says:

hey Kaitlin, your video permission is set to private, can you please change it to public or unlisted? THANKS! 🙂

• sheela john says:

Kaitlin, I really liked the clear and concise way you made the connection between the way the Osmo app is used in your classroom to Archer’s 3 orders of reality. The social aspect of the technology is remarkable with all the opportunities for communication – virtual and face-to-face.

• jennifer mathis says:

Kaitlin – Great video! I like how you clearly explained how each type of knowledge is enriched through the use of Osmo. I also really like the use of videos for students to observe and comment on their own process and progress.

• renuka senaratne says:

What a great idea Kaitlin! I like the connections you made between Osmo and the social contexts of learning. A really good way of connecting e-learning to young children. I like your discursive example of watching on line videos for other tips and ideas. Thanks.

• jennifer mathis says:

Peter – I really connected and agreed with your idea of the technology becoming an extension of the user, and therefore blurring the lines between practical knowledge and embodied knowledge. I felt the same thing about students learning to code – the students’ programs became extensions of themselves, essentially turning the programs’ actions into their own actions.

15. jennifer mathis says:

Here is my video on using coding in the classroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5NKj5-Miug

16. angela cowin says:

These submissions are SO GREAT!!!! You are all doing amazing things in your classes and I even learned about a few new apps/examples to try in my classroom. Great connections to the three orders!
    Sharissa and I were talking and we are so impressed with all the videos.

17. renuka senaratne says:

Here is my video explaing the Healthy Living presentation my students would create using Explain Everything or Pic Collage. https://youtu.be/9Mzw84u1ueY

• joti chahal says:

Hey Renuka! I loved hearing about how you used Explain Everything and Pic Collage with your students. It’s great that you had your students learn about healthy living by having them make observations in their daily lives. What a great idea! I also like how the students had to collaborate with other classmates. Your connections to the three orders of reality were very concise.