Cmap #2 Bourne

theory-of-learning-and-development

This entry was posted in CMap #2. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Cmap #2 Bourne

1. belinda scott says:

Hi Carrie
    Wow. You have managed to include a lot information on your CMAP.
    Your use of colours helps organize the information in a visually pleasing manner.
    I really like how you explained the links between some of the concepts over the whole map.
    You have provided a lot of information and supporting details in diversity. It is clear you have done additional research.

Suggestions:
    Overall: It may be easier to “read” your map if the different areas/colours were more distinct from one another by providing more white space between them. I can show how to do this in an easy step without having to move each individual bubble. You can message me if you want.
    Self-Regulation: You have divided SRL in SR, SRSR and Perry’s article; however, a lot of what you have in SR actually falls under Perry’s article. For instance Motivation is more SRL than SR.
    Social Constructivism:
    The SC bubble could be linked to your constructivism bubble. I would link the ZPD closer to the Vygotsky bubble to show the theorist behind the theory. It is difficult to see how the scaffolding bubbles are linked. Are they linked to ZPD or just to social constructivism? This would be a good spot to add the theorist Bruner as he introduced the idea of scaffolding.
    Diversity: What is SES? Can you elaborate on this? Is SES social emotional skills.

Constructivism: Change the big bubble to a similar colour to the connecting bubbles. It looks like the same colour as SRL. I see what you have tried to do with the different colours to show the relationships and it is hard to do so with a limited colour palate.

SEL: Provide the recommendations from the article about what is needed in schools in order to have an effective SEL program?

The use of the heavy black lines makes me think that these are important points but I think your intent is to show connections. Would it be better to use a colour instead of thickness of line to show the connections between concepts? I do like that you explain the connections.

It is evident you have put a lot of thought into your CMAP and I took away more than a few points from it so thank you for sharing.

2. todd millway says:

Hi Carrie,

Let us see if this post works as I don’t have the memory to look at the whole CMAP and then comment so will have to go back and forth and not sure if that will work.

Anyway, at first opening I love the look of your CMAP. It looks like a piece of art, ya I know, not helpful, but just what I thought. I have taken notes on your CMAP for things that I need to add to mine. You have shown a great deal of information on the social aspects, something I missed out on all together. I like the inclusion of a section on diversity. Does it link to any of the other big ones? I see all of the main areas as separate branches and am wondering if some of those branches should have connections. I like your degree of detail on self regulated learning and the Perry article, I just had difficulty reading the dark blue filled ovals as the text and back ground are close. Makes for a lot of zooming. This whole CMAP thing would be such a time consuming pain to mark.
    Don’t see good old Watson and Skinner in your behaviourism section. No white bunnies? Little Albert would be so happy! Sorry just remember the study. Strange things stick in old brains.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed and artful CMAP

Cheers
    Todd

3. jennifer mathis says:

Carrie,

I like how you have divided the sections into colours. This facilitates distinguishing between major topic areas. I also like how you connected major areas to one another, showing how topics interrelate.

I agree with Belinda’s comment that some extra space between topic areas would help with reading. The section on SEL, with dark blue background could also be made easier to read if you put all the text into white, like the major topic title bubble.

Within your constructionism section, perhaps there could be more grouping of related concepts. For example, you have a bubble for community of practice, but this is separate from the bubbles for “social learning” and also for “common interest in subject or problem” (which are also separate from each other. Perhaps the connections between these concepts could be shown by grouping the latter two as sub-topics of community of practice?

A final suggestion I have would be to use sentence-like structures for more of your connections to really communicate the connection. For example, while I can tell you have identified tools as an important concept within social constructivism, it isn’t clear how they are relevant. A few connecting words or sentences could help make this more clear.

Great job!