Greetings, from the UBC Visitors Centre

Whuddup my small group of blog readers since I have not posted in a few decades. Okay, that is stretching the truth a little bit, but none the less it feels like decades have gone by since the Olympics arrived. I can’t even picture in my mind what Vancouver looks like without swirls of blue and green all over the place and what Granville looks like without men in Canada hockey jerseys trying to rip trees out of the ground. True Story.

This is me telling the truth. It’s not stretched. The Olympics has turned Vancouver into a house party out of a terrible music video on Much Music. I’ve found one UBC Ski and Board Club shirt, one million Canada hockey jerseys, one man with barely no clothing dancing on Granville, four opportunties to take a photo with punks for $2,  several dedicated Denmark curling fans, the Green Men from the Canucks games and I have found no Olympic protestors.

The lines to get onto a train at any Canada Line or SkyTrain station are ridiculous. The wait for a twenty second ride on the zip line that is set up in Robson Square is five hours. To get into the Vancouver Art Gallery, it is a 2 hour wait. The wait to get into The Bay to buy red mittens- upwards of five hours as well. I want to experience the Olympics but I feel unable to do anything unless I want to commit several hours for a 30 second experience. VANOC should of adapted the Disney World FastPass system because this is just getting silly.

It’s been a week since Opening Ceremonies, so in brief, here is how wicked-awesome my Vancouver 2010 experience has been. I watched the Opening Ceremonies dress rehersal, got turned away for the Alexisonfire show which was shortly after cancelled, attened womens curling which had more enthusiastic fans than mens hockey at Canada Hockey Place had, cheered on China as they played Russia at UBC Thunderbird Arena, welcomed the world with intereactive art exhibits for CODE Live and the Cultural Olympiad, visited friends in Toronto at a national conference that brought together my entire scholarship class, ate two crepes, spent $70 on one meal in Cactus Club, bought several candy apples from Rocky Mountain, saw Stars live in concert, watched Canadian Luge athletes speed past me in Whistler, and welcomed guests on to UBC campus at the Visitors Centre- where you can find me right now as I write this blgo post.

I cannot stess enough how amazing it is to have the Olympics here in Vancouver. So many exciting things are happening which compliments all the other exciting things in my life that are curently happening as well.

I really want to get back on track with communicating to the people who stumble across my blog, including the people who type in “Daniel Magder UBC” into Google and end up here (Yes, Google Analytics tells me that) and all of the potentional new students who are given the Blog Squad link when the apply.

Love you all, stay classy, and attend a few free concerts for me. Girl Talk next week anyone?

3 thoughts on “Greetings, from the UBC Visitors Centre

1. AJ

“four opportunties to take a photo with punks for $2”
    actual punks or punks as in “individuals you deem to be menaces to society and are colloquially referring to as” punks?
    were they tap dancing and fiddling punks?
    i’m so interested.

i also read your blog.
    fact.

2. Erica Post author

Actual punks just wanting money. They didn’t have any fiddles, I guess this is a common misconception now haha.

3. Tami

ok, so, first off, I love the picture. it’s beautiful. it reminds me of a spring night. which shouldn’t be happening there, because you’re north of me.
    ok, second,
    I stumbled upon this wonderous blog a few months ago looking for those damn tokyo police club socks that they no longer sell. google is odd, indeed.
    I think your life is so fascinating. shoot, I’m in college and I feel like I don’t do anything, because your life is actually interesting. you must be busy. but a good busy.

anyways, stay fly! and post more tokyo police club for music mondays. perhaps one of their unreleased songs, like hands reversed or once I was the keeper.

–tami.