How To Get To Know UBC Without Visiting Campus

Eating some soup from Pacific Spirit Place in the SUB

Just chilln’. But really, I’m enjoying some soup from Pacific Spirit Place in the SUB (Student Union Building).

Have you ever checked out my super cool links in the right column next to this post? Are you thinking about coming here next year? This is an incredible resource for you to use.

I chose UBC without visiting Vancouver, Campus or having any relatives attend post secondary before. I’m from Ontario, the wonderful land of dozens of universities and Marineland. So how did I make that choice?

Here is your guide of things to look at to get to know campus on a personal level.

AMS Confidential– A UBC political blog run by three UBC students named Kai, Taylor and “Gossip Guy.” It’s regularly updated with lots of juicy goodness.

Blog Squad– It’s a collection of blog posts from all the lovely students at UBC who blog about their experiences on campus. It also includes links to their blogs as well!

Portraits of UBC– Portraits of students that Rabi Sun meets during a regular day on campus. The blog is updated very frequently (I’d say every week if not very close to that) which gives you a good perspective on what campus looks like throughout the year and Rabi even includes a weekly question that his subjects answer!

The UBC Admin Blog– A unique persepctive on UBC life from the view of Pierre Ouillet, Vice-President, Finance, Resources, and Operations and Brian Sullivan, Vice-President, Students. Brian Sullivan is the coolest guy ever because he has the greatest collection of bow ties a man could ever obtain.

The Ubyssey– Our campus newspaper filled with current stories of things happening on campus. You can even browse through the events section to see just how many things happen on campus at once or check out the menu bar at the top of the website to get a taste of campus.

UBC Insiders– Another great UBC political blog worth checking out. Maintained currently by Neal, Alex and Andrew. Their team & past editors have had high levels of UBC involvement including AMS President/AMS Exec members and being Photo Editor for the Ubyssey.