Legend: myself in bold, supervised students underlined.
MRS in Multiple Sclerosis
- MacMillan EL, Tam R, Zhao Y, Vavasour IM, Li DKB, Oger J, Freedman MS, Kolind SH, Traboulsee AL. Progressive Multiple Sclerosis Exhibits Decreasing Glutamate and Glutamine over Two Years. Mult Scler 2016;22(1):112-116
- MacMillan EL, Schubert JJ, Vavasour IM, Vianna E, Dzyakanchuk A, Yoo Y, Tam R, Kolind SH, Traboulsee AL. N-acetylaspartate and creatine decrease with severity of myelin damage in relapsing Multiple Sclerosis. Poster #422, 2015 Annual Congress of the European Committee for Research and Treatment in Multiple Sclerosis, Barcelona, Spain.
- MacMillan EL, Kolind SH, Schubert JJ, Leppert D, Seneca N, Vianna E, Dzyakanchuk A, Tam R, Traboulsee AL. Lower Brain Glutamate Levels in Patients with Relapsing MS Compared to Healthy Controls. Poster #510, 2014 Annual Congress of the European Committee for Research and Treatment in Multiple Sclerosis, Boston, USA.
- MacMillan EL, Tam R, Zhao Y, Vavasour IM, Li DKB, Oger J, Freedman MS, Kolind SH, Traboulsee AL. Glutamate and glutamine as potential new biomarkers of progressive multiple sclerosis. Platform presentation, 2013 endMS Conference, Saint Sauveur, Quebec, Canada.
- MacMillan EL, Tam R, Zhao Y, Vavasour IM, Li DKB, Oger J, Freedman MS, Kolind SH, Traboulsee AL. Progressive MS shows significant decreases in brain glutamate and glutamine over 2 years. Poster #1193, 2013 Annual Congress of the European Committee for Research and Treatment in Multiple Sclerosis, Copenhagen, Denmark. Featured in Neurology Reviews 2014;22(1):21
MRS in Psychiatric Diseases
- Bond DJ, Evangelista da Silveira L, MacMillan EL, Lang DJ, Su W, Torres IJ, Honer WG, Lam RW, Yatham LN Body mass index × diagnosis interaction for hippocampal glutamate/glutamine and N-acetylaspartate in remitted first-episode mania patients and healthy subjects. British Journal of Psychiatry, 2015 accepted
- Silveira LE, Bond DJ, MacMillan EL, Kozicky JM, Muralidharan K, Bücker J, Rosa AR, Kapczinski F, Lam RW, Yatham LN. Hippocampal neurochemical markers in bipolar disorder patients following the first-manic episode: a prospective 12-month proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy study. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry: 2015 accepted.
MRS Technique Development
- Henning A, Koning W, Fuchs A, Raaijmakers A, Bluemink JJ, MacMillan EL, van den Berg CAT, Luijten P, Boesiger P, Klomp DJW. 1H MRS in the human spinal cord at 7T using a combined RF shimming and travelling wave transmit approach. Oral Presentation #711, 20th ISMRM 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- Kreis R, Bolliger CS, MacMillan EL, Boettcher U, Boesch C. GABA Editing without Water Suppression. Poster #1745, 20th ISMRM 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- Hock A, Petrou N, Zweers P, MacMillan EL, Kreis R, Boesiger P, Henning A. MR spectroscopy in the spinal cord of patients with traumatic injuries. Poster #1074, 20th ISMRM 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- Hock A, Fuchs A, MacMillan EL, Kreis R, Kollias SS, Boesiger P, Henning A. Scyllo-Inositol detection in the human spinal cord. Poster #1815, 20th ISMRM 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- MacMillan EL, Kreis R, Fuchs A, Versluis MJ, Boesch C, Boesiger P, Henning A. New Technique for Metabolite Cycled Non-Water-Suppressed Proton Spectroscopy in the Human Brain at 7T. Poster # 1412, 19th ISMRM 2011, Montreal, Canada.
Detection of New Brain Metabolites
- MacMillan EL, Chong DGQ, Dreher W, Henning A, Boesch C, Kreis R. Magnetization exchange with water and T1 relaxation of the downfield resonances in human brain spectra at 3.0 T. Magn. Reson. Med. 2011; 65(5): 1239–1246.
- MacMillan EL, Chong DGQ, Dreher W, Henning A, Boesch C, Kreis R. Proton exchange between water and metabolites in human brain observed in vivo by magnetic resonance spectroscopy. A tool to characterize brain tumor tissue? Platform presentation, 6th Annual Meeting of Clinical Neuroscience in Bern, 2010, Bern, Switzerland.
- MacMillan EL, Chong DGQ, Dreher W, Henning A, Boesch C, Kreis R. MR Spectroscopy without Water Suppression for the Determination of Proton Exchange Rates in the Human Brain. Platform presentation, Joint Annual Meeting ISMRM-ESMRMB 2010, Stockholm, Sweden, p.876.
MRS Motion Correction
- Hock A, MacMillan EL, Fuchs A, Kreis R, Boesiger P, Kollias SS, Henning A. Non-water-suppressed proton MR spectroscopy improves spectral quality in the human spinal cord. Magn. Reson. Med. 2013; 69(5) :1253–1260. Co-first author. Editor’s pick May 2013.
- Lecoultre V, Carrel G, Egli L, Binnert C, Boss A, MacMillan EL, Kreis EL, Boesch C, Darimont C, Tappy L. Coffee consumption attenuates short-term fructose-induced liver insulin resistance in healthy male subjects. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition Epub 20.11.2013.
MRS of Skeletal Muscle
- MacMillan EL, Boesch C, Kreis R. Influence of muscle fibre orientation on water and metabolite relaxation times, magnetization transfer, and visibility in human skeletal muscle. Magn. Reson. Med. Early View Online.
- MacMillan EL, Boesch C, Kreis R. Magnetization exchange observed in human skeletal muscle by non-water-suppressed proton MR spectroscopy. Magn. Reson. Med. 2013; 70(4): 916-924.
Spinal Cord MRI
- Vavasour IM, Meyers SM, MacMillan EL, Mädler B, Li DKB, Dvorak MF, Rauscher A, Batke J, Vertinsky T, Venu V, MacKay AL, Curt A. Increased spinal cord movements in cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Spine J: 2014;14(10):2344-2354.
- MacMillan EL, Maedler B, Fichtner N, Dvorak MF, Li DKB, Curt A, MacKay AL. Myelin water and T2 relaxation measurements in the healthy cervical spinal cord at 3.0T: Repeatability and changes with age. NeuroImage 2011; 54(2): 1083–1090
- Assessment of demyelination in cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Presented at the Workshop for MRI in Human Spinal Cord Injury, December 10, 2010, at the Spinal Cord Injury Centre at the University Hospital Balgrist in the University of Zurich.
- MacMillan EL, Meyers SM, Vavasour IM, Maedler B, Li DKB, Dvorak MF, MacKay AL, Curt A. New Insights into the Pathophysiology of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy from MRI Measurements of Cerebrospinal Fluid Flow and Spinal Cord Motion. Platform presentation, 2009 International Spinal Cord Society Annual Meeting, Florence, Italy.
- MacMillan EL, MacKay AL, Maedler B, Li DKB, Dvorak MF, Curt A. A Novel Quantitative Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technique For The Assessment Of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy. Platform presentation, Spineweek 2008, Geneva, Switzerland.
- MacMillan EL, Maedler B, MacKay AL, Dvorak MF, Li DKB, Curt A. In Vivo MRI Assessment of Human Spinal Cord Myelin Content: Myelin Water Imaging of Cervical Myelopathy. Platform presentation, International Collaboration for Repair Discoveries 2007 Annual Research Meeting, Vancouver, Canada.
- MacMillan EL, MacKay AL, Maedler B, Li DKB, Dvorak MF, Curt A. Sensitivity of Myelin Water Imaging in Focal Spinal Cord Demyelination: a Combined Neurophysiological and Neuroimaging Study of Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy . Poster #1304, 17th ISMRM, 2009, Honolulu, USA.