Weekly Readings & Viewings

Our weekly readings will be student generated and will be posted here. “Reading Experts” are responsible for ensuring that all pre/during/post activities are ready to go. “Pre-activities” or “Entrance-Slips” will be presented at the end of the class prior to your presentation. All students are responsible for ensuring they have read the reading prior to the class.

Sept 5th: Week 1: “Setting the Environment”- (Erin)

Weber, S., & Mitchell, C. (1998). Beyond nostalgia: Reinventing ourselves as teachers. Philadelphia, PA: Falmer Press Chapter 3: Picture this: Using school photographs to student ourselves. Chapter 4: Undressing and redressing the teacher’s body.

Sept 12th: Week 2: “Understanding Teaching”- (Erin) 

*INTRODUCTION TO CLASS ASSIGNMENT DUE

Guiding Questions:  What is education for? What are the purposes of schooling? What is your idea of an educated person? What are some present day understandings of teaching and teachers? What are some historically significant understandings of education and teaching? What understandings do you hold about teaching and learning? 

1. Claudia Mitchell & Sandra Weber (1995). Images, metaphors, and stereotypes: The struggle for identity. That’s funny, you don’t look like a teacher: Interrogating images of identity in popular culture, (Chapter 2 & 4, pp 20-32 and pp 54-71). London, UK: Routledge

2. Coulter, D., & Wiens, J. (1999) What is Educational about Educational Leadership? (pp. 4- 7). Education Canada

http://www.cea-ace.ca/sites/cea-ace.ca/files/EdCan-1999-v39-n2-Coulter.pdf

Week 2 Entrance Slip: 

Choose (1) of the above readings and complete the 1-2-3 Reflection. 

(1): 1 question that you may have about the reading

(2): Complete 2 reflections. (Reflections* are your thoughts, opinions, insights etc., that you have about the article in how it relates to the themes of the class (see guiding questions) or your experiences and/or understandings about education.

(3): Find 3 key words (or unknowns) from the article.

*What does it mean to be educated?* – Think about this!

Sept 19th: Week 3: “Understanding Teaching as Inquiry” -(Cristina, Michelle, Mary-An)

*ARTIFACT ASSIGNMENT DUE*

Guiding Questions:  What is Inquiry? What are some of the key qualities of teacher inquiry? What are some modes of inquiry? What is the purpose and impact of teacher inquiry? How can we view the process of teaching as inquiry into learning? What has inquiry got to do with teaching, learning and curriculum? 

1. Fichtman D., N & Yendol-Hoppy, D. (2009). Teacher inquiry defined. The reflective educator’s guide to classroom research. Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press. Teacher Inquiry Defined

2. Inquiry Based Learning You Tube Video

3.  Introduction to Inquiry Based Learning (Neil Stephenson’s website)

Week 3 Entrance Slip: 

Prior to reading the article please write down what you think and understand ‘Teacher Inquiry’ to be.

Sept 26th: Week 4: “Exploring Teacher Inquiry as a Pedagogical Approach” – (Justina, Irene, Stephanie)

*ARTIFACT ASSIGNMENT REFLECTION DUE*

Guiding Questions:  What is teacher inquiry? And why does it matter? What are some of the key qualities of teacher inquiry? What is the purpose and impact of teacher inquiry? What is the distinction between teacher inquiry and teacher research? How is Inquiry being used in the classroom? What are the differences between Inquiry approach and Traditional Transmissive models? What are the roles of students in Inquiry? Teachers? What does Inquiry Based Learning foster and achieve? 

1. Ch. 1: Teacher inquiry: a defining feature of professional practice, pp. 1-6. Shamsher, M., Decker, E., & Leggo, C. (2003).  Teacher Inquiry in the Backyard. Vancouver, BC: British Columbia Teachers’ Federation. Available online: TeacherResearchInTheBackyard-1 pgs. 7-18

2. UBC Teacher Education 2012-2013 Students on Inquiry (You Tube)

3.  Learning from Classrooms – BC Changing Results for Young Readers project (You Tube)

Week 4 Entrance Slip:

1) “As an educator, what factors do you think would affect a student’s motivation to attend classes?”
2) “As an educator, how could you influence a student to be more engaged/involved with classroom work?”

Oct 3rd: Week 5: “Generating Questions for Inquiry” –Michelle & Emily

Guiding Questions: What kinds of questions do teachers ask? Where do teachers’ questions come from? What constitutes a good question? What are some inquiry issues we might ask in our own teaching contexts ?

1. Clifford. P. & Friesen, S. (2007). Creating Essential Questions. In Designing LearningGalileo Organization. Retrieved from: http://galileo.org/teachers/designing-learning/resources/creating-essential-questions/

2. Halbert, J. & Kaser, L. (2013). Spirals of inquiry: For equity and qualityVancouver, B.C. British Columbia Principals and Vice Principals’ Association (BCPVPA).  Ch. 4. Four key questions and why they matter, p. 37-46. Available through UBC Library.

3. High Tech High –  Inquiry Questions on Pedagogy

4. High Tech High Teacher Inquiry Research Collection 2012 You Tube video.

5. Creating Effective Inquiry Questions Checklist

Week 5 Entrance Slip:

1). As a teacher, what can you do in your classroom to ensure that your students are learning to the best of their ability?
2). Do you have an example of when you were a student and your teacher was in tune with your learning through asking questions?

Oct 10th: Week 6**: “Engaging Conversations: Understanding Teaching through Dialogical Inquiry & Kinesthetic and Performative Movement” 

ASSIGNMENT: INQUIRY TOPIC DUE (E-MAIL INSTRUCTOR & PLEASE BRING A PAPER COPY TO CLASS)

Guiding Questions: What is the role of talk in the classroom? In what ways is teacher talk different from student talk? When is talk a means of Inquiry? When is it not? What kinds of conversations are possible, with whom, and in what contexts?  How formal should discussions be? What are the differences between informal talk and serious discussion/debate? How does discourse frame the way we view students and the school as an organization? How can conversations empower? How can conversations oppress or even marginalize others? In what ways can educators ensure that all students’ voices are heard? What are the communication needs of a diverse classroom?  What can movement tell us about the ways we learn and live? In what ways can physical expression help us understand ourselves and become effective as teachers? In what ways might we motivate learners to perform? How can we engage students in learning?

(Kinesthetic)- Brianne, Brandy, Lindsay 

1. Harper, V. (1996). Establishing a community of conversation: Creating a context for self-reflection among teacher scholars. In L. Richlin (Ed.), To Improve the Academy, VoL 15 (pp. 251-266).

Entrance Slip Activity #1:

Engage in a conversation with a friend or family member:

1: Where did the conversation take place?

2: What was the topic of your conversation?

3: Was the conversation meaningful why or why not?

(Dialogical)- Leanne, Cimon, Jocelyn 

2. Friesen, S., & Clifford, P. (1993). A curious plan: Managing on the twelfth. Harvard Educational Review63(3), 339-358. Clifford and Friessen 1993.

Entrance Slip Activity #2:

1) Based on the time example from the reading, how did you learn the concept of tying a shoelace?

2) How can we make the curriculum that is taught in the classroom be ‘real’ for our students?

3. High Tech High Teacher Inquiry Research Collection 2012 You Tube video.

4.  Learning from Classrooms – BC Changing Results for Young Readers project (You Tube)

Oct 17th: Week 7: “Generating Observations through Classroom Inquiry as Action Research” Ryan, Zack, Virginia

Guiding Questions: What do teachers (and I) pay attention to in the classroom (on my short practicum)? Why? What questions do my observations raise (about curriculum, teaching, learning, students, context)? What questions do my observations raise about particular teachers (and myself) as observers, each with his/her values, assumptions and interests? What impact might observations have on those/that observed? In what ways can I best make use of my time when I am observing and engaging in classroom practices? What information will I need to know to prepare me for my long practicum?

1.Halbert, J. & Kaser, L. (2013). Spirals of Inquiry for equity and quality. Vancouver, BC: BCPVPA (p.37 – 59).  (*Photocopies Provided*) 

Entrance Slip:

From the reading, what strategies can you incorporate in your short practicum, in order to better understand your students and prepare you for your long practicum?

2. Mitra, S. (2008) Kids can teach themselves (Ted Talk).

Oct 24th: Week 8: “Proposing an Inquiry I: Developing a focus and locating sources” (Erin)

Guiding Questions:  What are the stages of inquiry? What are some questions I have about education and schooling, teaching, learning and curriculum? Why are these questions significant, and to whom? How would I pursue my particular interest?

1. Hammerness, K., Darling-Hammond, L., Bransford, J., Berliner, D., Cochran-Smith, M., McDonald, M., & Zeichner, K. (2005). How teachers learn and develop. Preparing teachers for a changing world: What teachers should learn and be able to do, 358-389.  Darling-Hammond & Bransford, Chapter 10-1.

2. stages of teacher inquiry– choose three models for discussion in class

3. McMaster University: What is a Good Inquiry Question? 

4. Victorian Institute of Teaching: The Question for Inquiry and Professional Learning

Week 9: Practicum. No Readings 

Week 10: Practicum. No Readings 

Nov 14th: Week 11: “Enlarging Perspectives and Making Sense. Teachers’ converations with scholarly and professional communities.” Cass, Wing, Georgia 

ASSIGNMENT: INQUIRY PROPOSAL DRAFT DUE

Guiding Questions: Why and how might teachers, individually and collectively, enlarge their perspectives on a classroom issue or problem? What are the benefits of collective inquiry versus individual inquiry? In what ways can we use collective inquiry to improve student comfort, language skill and motivation? How has your practicum experience influenced your inquiry?What can I learn from listening to others? Have I found an area of interest and even passion in my proposal? 

Week 11 Entrance Slip:

During your 2 week practicum period, observe  and take mental notes of how inquiry takes place in your own particular school setting? Are there any department meetings discussing educational strategies, activities and/or implementation for modifications, adaptations or improvement?  Do they take place daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or only at Pro-D days?  Does it even occur at all?

1. Dufour, R. (2004) What is a professional learning community? Educational Leadership, 61(8), pp. 6-11.

2. The BCTF Teacher Inquiry Program. Available online: TeacherInquiry-2

Nov 21st: Week 12: “Enlarging Perspectives through Research. Making Sense through Media-based, Digital and Online Inquiry” ** 

Guiding Questions: In what ways can I incorporate digital and online knowledge environments into my teaching? What do I need to know about student and personal projects that are posted on public networks? What online resources are available to me as a teacher? What are the options if I can’t rely on technology in my practicum school? What are some of the key perspectives they use to frame educational research? How do teachers identify and assess arguments in the research literature?

Entrance Slip: *Bring an example of digital online knowledge that pertains to your Inquiry and/or practicum * This can be a resource, tool, idea etc…

Martina, Matt, Cam (PE focus):

Partridge et al,. Perceptions of Heart Rate Monitor Use in High School Physical Education Classes.Physical Educator. Late Winter2011, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p30-43. 14p.

Available on: <a href=”http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=60305705&site=ehost-live&scope=site“>Perceptions of Heart Rate Monitor Use in High School Physical Education Classes.</a>

Judy & Rhianna 

Sheskey, Bill., Creating Learning Connections with Today’s Tech-Savvy Student.

http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/109008/chapters/Creating_Learning_Connections_with_Today’s_Tech-Savvy_Student.aspx  *Photocopies Provided*

Nov 28th: Week 13: Brad & Hiral “Proposing an Inquiry Part II: Planing for an Inquiry – Based Curriculum.” Identifying a framework for understanding. 

Entrance Slip:

What ethical issues are raise with respect to your own inquiry research question? What are the ethical issues with the type of tests that you want to implement?

Guiding Questions:  What values motivate my inquiry? What do I currently believe about the object of study? How might my inquiry be situated in the context of the particular writers who study similar questions/concerns? What is the history of my relation to that object of inquiry? What general inquiry is most pressing at this point in my life as a teacher? What are the most important ways that I might approach that question or issue? What type of inquiry and learning practices should I employ that my students will benefit from? What are my ethical responsibilities with regard to those participating in my research and to my collaborators? What ethical issues are raised when a teacher researches?

****1. . MacLean, M &  Poole, G. (2010) An introduction to ethical considerations for novices to research in teaching and learning.  The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 1(2). Available online as An Introduction to Ethical Considerations for Novices

2. Noddings, N. (2005). The challenge to care in schools: an alternative approach to educationNew York, NY: Teachers College Press.  Ch. 12: Getting Started in Schools, p. 173-180.

3. Shockley Lee, S. & van den Berg, O. (2003). Ethical obligations in teacher research. In A. Clarke & G. Erickson (Eds.), Teacher inquiry: Living the research in everyday practice, p. 93-102. London, UK: RoutledgeFalmer.  Available through UBC Library.

Fenwick 2000 – Five Contemp Perspecs on Cognition

Dec 5th: Week 14: Proposal Presentations Part 1. (Erin) 

Dec 12th: Week 15: Proposal Presentations Part 2. 

Assignment Due: Inquiry FINAL Proposal (3-5 pages)

Guiding Questions:  How do I carry the notion of teacher as inquirer into my practice of teaching? How will my inquiry evolve, change and re-shape during my educational journey? How can I support my peers during their practicum journey? How can teacher candidates deal with the stressors of becoming a new teacher?

Readings/Viewings:

1. Brownlie, F. & Ondrik, K. (2011). Building a culture where all students belong. In F. Brownlie & J. King, Learning in safe schools (2nd ed.), (pp. 19-30).  Markham Ontario: Pembrooke Publishers.

2. Brandes, G.M. & Kelly, D.M. (2001). Shifting out of “neutral”: Beginning teachers’ struggles with teaching for social justice. Canadian Journal of Education, 26(3), 437-454. Brandes & Kelly 2001

3. Pierson, R. (2013). Every kid needs a champion. (Ted Talk)

Other Resources on Reserve at UBC Library:

Berger, R. (2003). An ethic of excellence: Building a culture of craftsmanship with students. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

Darling-Hammond, L. (2008). Powerful learning: What we know about teaching for understanding. San Francisco, CA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Greene, M. (1995). Releasing the imagination: Essays on education, the arts, and social change. San Francisco, CA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Harvey, S. & Daniels, H. (2009). Inquiry circles in action: Comprehension & collaboration. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

Marzano, R. (2010). On excellence in teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree.

Robinson, K. (2009)  The element: How finding your passion changes everything. New York, NY: Penguin Books.