Cathie tell us about your role at UBC!

I am a Recruiter-Advisor with Student Recruitment and Advising, which means I jet-set with my banner pretty darn frequently. You’d be a more exciting companion than my banner, Jordan!

What do you like most about working in ES & SRA?

What do I like most? Probably all the presenting – I get a real adrenaline rush when I’m standing in front of an audience. It’s great to be up there promoting UBC; we work for an esteemed university that tends to carry itself (which means that everyone wants to listen to me!). I just have to build their knowledge and enthusiasm up.  It’s a fun sort of challenge.

Now Cathie, where did you recently travel to?

I travelled to India! My husband grew up in Mumbai and this was my first time visiting the country as well as his home. It was a full immersion into eating with my hands, wearing some traditional kurtas, and living with my in-laws for 3.5 weeks.

What were some of your most memorable moments?

Mumbai was home base, but we visited the state of Kerala, in the south of India, and floated down the backwaters on a house boat. Kerala is very tropical and very lush. The boat ride was a beautiful introduction to the countryside and its rice paddies, stray dogs who wait for lunch, and ice-cream salesmen who canvas the river!

What was your favourite meal you tried your time in India?

Real butter chicken – our sweet western version just doesn’t cut it!

What is some advice for our future jet-setters?

The India I experienced was a wonderful, friendly, and colourful place. Recommendations: if you’re a female, carry toilet paper J Also, everyone should probably go in with the understanding that it may take forever to get anywhere, and that honking – endless, merciless, and unforgiving – is the norm on all the roads.