Posted on behalf of Meghan Sorensen

A few weeks ago I planned an event  at the Gallery 2.0 at the top of The Nest to welcome the new and continuing Senators of the new 2017/2020 triennium into their roles as Senators at UBC. It could not have gone smoother. Gallery 2.0 has a professional and welcoming atmosphere with an amazing view, delicious food selection, friendly, accommodating staff, and the view, did I mention the view…?

We indulged in a wide variety from their Cocktail Party menu, enjoyed a host bar, and made a small dent in the mountain of BC cheese and charcuterie. Providing the right mix of vegetarian and non-veg options is a challenge for any host, accommodating dietary restrictions can make or break an event, but Gallery 2.0 takes on the challenge to fill the herbivores stomach. The Quinoa Croquettes left a bit to be desired on the flavor front, but the surprise of the night for me was the Compressed Cucumber & Black Olive Tapenade, I don’t even like olives! The crowd pleaser was the simple, unpretentious but delicious Tomato Bruschetta.

As far as the non-veg selection goes, the only thing left at the end of the night was one plate of Pork Bellies, they were a bit intimidating as just meat fat on a stick and not for everyone, understandably, but the Thai Crab Rolls went so fast I didn’t even get to try one! And the Beef Sliders were as adorable as they were delicious.

Having the full bar there was a luxury I will not be able to forgo when planning future events. We were able to serve far more of a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks than I ever would have taken on if just renting a room and setting up a table bar. It also provided a nice area for gathering and chatting.

Speaking of gathering, the patio, oh the patio, having indoor and outdoor space available with an outstanding view of the sunset over the mountains, perfection! The space at Gallery 2.0 fit what we were looking for perfectly, something professional and demure but casually open enough to provide mingling space with a few places for sitting and having a more intimate conversation about goals for the next three years.

The new Gallery 2.0 was a perfect choice for the Senate reception 2017 and I will definitely consider it next triennium. We received nothing but compliments on the event and encouragement to host these types of events more regularly over the term. The student Senators were especially surprised and delighted to get such a delicious free meal and really appreciated the chance to speak more casually with faculty representatives, Senate & Curriculum Services and Enrolment Services staff.

Food –     *****
Space –   *****
Service – *****
Price –      ***