Meika 2Name:
 Meika Taylor
Unit: Enrolment Services, Student Recruitment and Advising
Position:  Recruiter Advisor, Aboriginal Students
Since: February 2016

I am a Métis woman from Fort McMurray, Alberta and I moved to Vancouver in August of 2013 to start my Masters at UBC.  I love to travel, eat delicious food, and spend time outside near the water fishing, camping, and stand up paddle boarding. I have seven years of experience working at the University of Alberta in research and academic advising roles with the Faculty of Native Studies.

I completed an undergraduate degree in Anthropology at the University of Alberta, and Masters degree in Planning with an Indigenous Community Planning specialization at UBC through the School of Community and Regional Planning.  The highlight of my Masters program at UBC was having the opportunity to spend 9 months working in and with Lake Babine Nation (in Burns Lake, BC) learning about their traditional ways of community planning from elders, youth, and community planning champions.  I was fortunate to be invited to visit some of their traditional territory that is only accessible by remote logging roads.  Learning how to work a CB radio on a one-lane active logging road to safely drive into a community is something you just can’t learn in a classroom setting 😉

Meika 1

I’m so excited to be able to work with students again to help them achieve their educational and career goals.