One of the biggest parts of the job for admissions coordinators is responding to student inquiries:

Have you received my transcript?

Why is my high school record still showing my old mark?

How do I upload documents for my application?

Can you send me a free UBC t-shirt?

And so on.

While 99.9% of emails we receive are questions or requests pertaining to the status of their application or evaluation, sometimes, just sometimes, we get elated emails from students.

As the admissions cycle moves along, we have been steadily sending out offers of admissions to students via email. And while studying at a university may be a positive but otherwise typical stage in life for some students, for others, it can be an impossible dream come true.

One student, on having been given an offer of admission to UBC, replied with their sincere thanks.

I am honoured to have been chosen by admissions. I look forward to campus life and to pursue post-secondary at UBC.

Another student, even more jubilantly, responded in ALL CAPS. Their excitement at having been offered admission poured out into their email. After thanking us profusely, they revealed that they were the first in their family to go to a top 25 university. “I am forever grateful”, they gushed. Also, their mum was happy with the news.

While sifting through student emails can just be another part of the job, getting to read emails like these really brightens the day.