Hello!

This is my fourth MET course. I am looking forward to learning more about and discussing any emerging technologies useful in education, and to contribute to the ideation of one of these ventures.

Originally from Ottawa, ON I have lived in Victoria, BC for more than half my life: 24 years. More accurately, I live in Victoria’s West Shore with my family: wife Melanie; three boys Finley (7), Foster (6) and Sawyer (4); two cats Rafa and Garcia; and dog Hannah. During whatever downtime I can squeak out of my week I enjoy skateboarding, surfing, biking and boxing.

My boys and I are playing with the reflective properties of light on a convex surface – uncle’s chrome bumper.

I have been teaching for ten years, and mainly work as a computer science educator at the middle school level in Sooke, BC. As the computer science teacher for each grade (grades 6-8) I teach students how to use computers effectively and efficiently, how to work with computer programming languages and how computers affect them in their everyday lives. Teaching computer science at this level led me to UBC’s MET program. I feel that if students are using technology in a better way, and early on in their academic careers they have a better chance to use it effectively, efficiently and safely throughout their lives.

I am looking forward to continuing my MET journey – or should I say venture. Wishing everyone well in these times. Let’s get this started!

8 responses to “Hello!”

1. Erica Hargreave

I miss Sooke, Mom’s Cafe for a milkshake and the 17 Mile Pub on my way home from a hike.

As an aside, my cat Ella, approves of the fact that you mentioned your cats before your dog, but is offended that you wouldn’t mention them before your wife and kids. On that note, clearly you now know who rules the roost in our house.

1. neal donegani

Funny, just said the other day that I’ve never been to Mom’s Cafe. May have to bring the boys in for a milkshake. Cats v dogs often comes up in my classrooms; good thing I have an interest in both feline and canine alike.

1. Erica Hargreave

Mom’s is definitely a must go. For me it is like a comfy blankie from my youth. The thing that is extra exciting about their milkshakes is that they bring the blender craft that the drink was mixed in, so that you can top up your initial glass.

2. adrian wheeler

Hi Neal,

Nice to see someone living in Sooke! I studied at UVic and spent a fair amount of time hiking the potholes.

1. neal donegani

Yes, Sooke is nice; although, I live in Colwood, and commute to Sooke for work.
      I see that you may be experiencing the same problem as I am with your profile pic. Have you tried to change it in Gravatar?

3. skye ferguson

Hello Neal,

I feel like we like we are both in this program for the same reasons. I teach high school students Digital literacy and how to use computers and media to communicate effectively and efficiently.

How is your school year going? Happy to have the kids back in the classroom?

1. neal donegani

Hi Skye,
      Today was the first day with kiddos in the classroom, and it was such a pleasure. I haven’t taught my CS course yet; that starts next week as relief for classroom teachers. Your year start yet?
      Neal

4. tara davis

Hey,
    I hiked the Juan de Fuca trail this summer. I really want to take my boyfriend out for a surf trip in that area, so if you know of any great rentals around Sooke- lemme know! I’ve got some surfer friends on the island (out of Ucluelet and Nanaimo) who started a society to research and restore BC’s most remote coastal areas.

Check it out: https://ruggedcoastresearch.com/

Let me know if you and your family wanna join for an ocean clean up!

My boyfriend and I got a fishing boat during COVID, so we’ve been exploring from Squamish, our home. I’m an elementary teacher and I’m really interested in teaching students more about how to protect the ocean!