A3 – Venture Pitch – StoryMemory

This summer has not unfolded as planned but at least I tried! Here is my attempt to create a venture pitch out of a longtime research passion project of mine at UBC. Thanks for your comments and constructive criticism

https://mcpheesiobhan.wixsite.com/storymemory

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

9 responses to “A3 – Venture Pitch – StoryMemory”

1. luke pereira

Hi Siobhan, I loved this venture and concept. I liked the site and how you explained the history and how you moved through the idea of the venture. I agree that experiential learning is what real learning is about and while we always assume the onus is on educators, we as consumers can also create content, when provided with the right tools. Your app/platform can make anyone storytellers. I do believe there are some apps, I have used a few, that allow to create AR related content on iOS but there is a learning curve.

I agree with the AR vs VR battle as the headsets do get cumbersome. In the end, what is tech that is widely available currently, that being smart devices, and creating content for those, reaches audiences faster. I am creating a mock museum exhibit for another course and this app would have been handy for visitors. It would allow for better immersion of visitors into the backstory in a much more fluid and dynamic way. I hope you pursue this further! great work.

1. Siobhán McPhee

Thanks Luke. I am really intrigued by your museum idea! One of my favourite places in the world as a child was the Natural History Museum in London, UK where they had basic interactive components where you pulled out boxes etc. I always think of it in my teaching and how rich museums and archives are, but how little we use them in teaching and learning.

2. Lyon Tsang

Hi Siobhan, this venture makes a lot of sense !!! I can’t help but think that one of the main challenges here is actually the tech itself — AR and VR is not quite there yet. In a perfect future, maybe StoryMemory represents the next generation of the video “format” — immersive, responsive, and unique experiences for each viewer. Let’s wait for a pair of wearable smart glasses and see where we’re at then…

1. Siobhán McPhee

Thanks Lyon. I am not actually a fan of wearables so my hope is that with 5G technology that the user/learner will simply interact with the avatar through their cell phone or tablet in the specific location. I think it’s closer than we think!

3. SallyB

Hi Siobhán,
    I LOVE this idea. I love that it’s flexible, so anyone could tell their stories, and the blending with AI sounds incredible.
    I see what Lyon is saying about the technology not quite being there yet, but soon, or close. I can envision a version of this launching soon(er) with perhaps less AI component that could evolve over time. Your description made me imagine it as the next “youtube”. If I had dollars, I’d invest.

1. Siobhán McPhee

Thanks so much Sally. I believe the technology is there it is just still a little expensive. Lots of people are focused on VR now because of the pandemic. But with 5G networks one the increase AR is going to be huge!

4. markmpepe

Hi Siobhán, this is a great idea, and a great way for the stories of refugees and indigenous people to be shared. When I was taking ETEC 523 I did a lot of research into AR and found some really neat projects. Two that come to mind are Go Back Fetch It (https://www.gobackfetchit.com) which is a project that presents human history in Africa, and more locally the Vancouver Mural Festival AR features (https://vanmuralfest.ca/ar-artists). I honestly believe in the potential for this, and if I was an investor I would invest. Excellent work and great idea. Even if the venture isn’t exactly how you have it here, I feel you’re on to something with the storytelling and AR experience. – Mark

1. Siobhán McPhee

Thanks Mark for sharing the links as I was not aware of them!

5. adriana silvestre

Hi Siobhán,

This is a really good app idea. I agree with the use of AR more than VR, I find it more accessible and easy to use. The idea of the stories embedded in experiential learning and connected with the different places is very interesting.