Greetings from Cindy!

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” -Walt Disney

Hello everyone!

First, I’d like to acknowledge that I am writing and studying from the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tseil-Waututh) Peoples. I am grateful to be a second generation settler on these lands.

This semester, I am a candidate in the Grad Certificate in MET. I am also a UBC alumni where I first started in the School of Music as a singer and music educator. This was followed by a B.Ed and eventually, after eight years of teaching and living overseas, an M.Ed. I had the great privilege of learning from my students who were Third Nation/Culture kids as we engaged in (musical) theatre performance, literature and drama. I currently do not formally teach music in the education system but I keep up with my music through learning new technology to record my songs, lead groups in music and by chatting with my students about their interesting music projects.

My fingers have always been in technology. When my grade school received its first PET computer, I was absolutely mesmerized. Our first class included learning about a “cursor” and how to use the “return” and “space bar” to move it. I was thrilled! My school was fortunate enough to have teachers who specialized in technology and a particular technology teacher who built up and maintained an effective computer lab that evolved over twenty years. Fast forward through elementary years of learning how to type and the plethora and explosive technological upgrades, the past six years has brought me to build, develop and project manage curriculum for online and blended learning (grades 5-12). My academic interests include STEM education with a focus on social change, Indigenous Education and critical education. My goal in the MET program is to become increasingly proficient and competent in educational technologies, learn about new/emerging technologies and think deeply about how to create and implement future technologies.

Outside of the formal school setting, I am an advocate and ally to Indigenous education and reconciliation. I love to swim, cycle, be active in fitness (Barre Blend is my current favourite workout). Billy, my sweet, ten year old rescue pup, is my sidekick.

I believe that learning is definitely a long-life pursuit and that we all need each other; to learn, build one another up and learn to grow, as challenging and difficult this can be sometimes. I look forward to getting to know you. ~Cindy

4 responses to “Greetings from Cindy!”

1. John Wu

Hi Cindy

Nice to meet you!
    I was quite into music during my undergraduate days (many many years ago…) and really enjoyed discovering new forms/genres of music in addition to playing instruments. Even though I’m not as involved anymore due to work and lack of time, it’s always exciting to be able to encourage a new generation of students to learn music through technology

1. cindy keung

Hi John! Wow! That’s great. Yes, you’re right in regard to encouraging students to learn music through technology! I had a professor in Music School is specializes in digital music 🙂

2. mary hui

Hi Cindy,
    Nice to meet you! So nice to meet a fellow music lover. Which instrument did you primary play? I just started picking up piano again after a long time, it’s definitely a challenge to relearn sight reading again. However, it is still something I do when I want to relax.

1. cindy keung

Hi Mary! I played piano growing up, studied voice in my youth years. As a music educator, we need to learn all instruments to be proficient enough to teach it to elementary school kids. That being said, the only group instrumental class I did not take was strings. I took class brass, woodwind and percussion.

In grade school, I learned the clarinet and flute, played them in band for seven years. Note fingering for both of these instruments translates into other wind instruments as well.

I currently play the guitar, piano and sing. My next instrument I want to become proficient is the cello!