3D Printing and the impact on Education

My school has a 3D printing tech room and several printers, often used by students to experiment and build their own final projects. In my mind, 3D printing is changing education in multiple ways.
3D printing allows students to create physical objects from digital designs, which can help them better understand concepts and theories in subjects such as science, engineering, and art. While this utility hasn’t made its way to all subjects, the way my students are using these devices to engineer their designs is remarkable. I have also noted an uptick in student engagement when using these 3D printers. They make learning more fun and engaging for students, and have lead to increased motivation and better learning outcomes. Form Labs lays out and seeks to explain other benefits to 3D printing and how it can be incorporated into the education system, including a lessened environmental footprint and the expansion of materials used to create these objects. This mode of creation also has real-world applications and requires multidisciplinary thinking as student must think creatively and solve problems in a multidisciplinary way, which can help them develop skills that are valuable in many different fields. These printers are expensive and accessibility and equality remains an issue, but they have benefits that far outweigh their cons.

Guide to 3D Printing In Education | Formlabs

2 responses to “3D Printing and the impact on Education”

1. Danielle Lusk

Hey!

I couldn’t agree more with your comment about student engagement. Recently, my school hosted a literacy week during which each junior high teacher organized a session for students to attend, similar to a teachers’ convention. Since the focus was on literacy, I assigned my students the task of listening to a short story and then creating a scene in the form of a storyboard using Tinkercad. The level of excitement in the room changed dramatically; it was almost euphoric for a teacher. Unfortunately, our school doesn’t have any 3D printers, but I have a personal one. Prior to the lesson, I designed a bee and was able to show the students what a finished product could look like.

I’m really interested in exploring how incorporating 3D designing and printing into various educational areas could motivate more students to step out of their comfort zones and discover something that genuinely interests them. Just in my session alone, there were students who had never tried 3D design or even considered it as a possibility for them.

Thanks for sharing the resource!

2. sworley

I also use Tinkercad for various tasks and I find it quite user friendly. This can be a challenging and complex task, so finding something that is easy to understand and follow is key. My big qualm with 3D printing that I didn’t mention above was the time it takes to print something. It’s wishful thinking, but I would love a printer that works in minutes rather than hours!