4) Reflections

Reflections

Before I start my reflection, I would like to start by presenting “Who is MakeMusic” from their website:

ABOUT MAKEMUSIC

MakeMusic®, Inc. is a world leader in music technology whose mission is to develop and market solutions that transform how music is composed, taught, learned, and performed. MakeMusic’s MakeMusic Cloud (formerly SmartMusic®) interactive music learning software transforms the way students practice. With an online library of thousands of band, orchestra, and vocal pieces, students practice with background accompaniment and receive immediate feedback on their performance. Teachers leverage MakeMusic Cloud to individualize instruction and document the progress of every student. For more than 25 years, Finale® has been the industry standard in music notation software, enabling musicians worldwide to create, edit, audition, print, and publish musical scores. MakeMusic is also the creator of Garritan® sound libraries, providing state-of-the-art virtual instruments with the playback quality of a live performance, and MusicXML™, the internet-friendly way to publish musical scores, distribute interactive sheet music, and share music notation with a wide variety of software programs. Additional information can be found at makemusic.com.

(https://www.makemusic.com/press-room/press-releases-2022/smartmusics-name-is-now-makemusic-cloud/)

Why should you invest in MakeMusic?

As mentioned in my Strengths, Areas for Growth, and Conclusion page, I talk about how there is a lack of financial information that is public. From a potential investor, you are relying on critiques from teachers who are currently using it as well as sifting through their blog for information that can help an investor; even the critique from the teachers do not mention financials.

However, the question about should you invest in MakeMusic as an EVA? My answer is yes. As a teacher who is currently using this program, I have a lot more time making music with the students and letting the students do their assessments in the comfort of their homes. Traditional music makers have done skill assessments in the class which can be nerve wracking for students; especially those with very high anxiety. If we put aside the financials and think about the expenditures a teacher would incur, this program is a neat package for the price points given.

I would like to conclude with that this program is not for everyone. I don’t want to sound contradicting in my previous argument but there are teachers who will stick to their traditional ways, but also funding can be an issue depending if a district would support the acquisition to provide an annual subscription for music students. If music teachers are looking to enhance their classroom, this program is one that promotes that growth.