Greetings from Janet

Hello All,

My name is Janet and I am a math teacher in Northern BC.  I am currently enrolled in my 7th and 8th MET courses.  My husband and I have two children –  a boy (11) and a girl (14) – and, while I have thoroughly enjoyed my MET courses so far, I am looking forward to the end so I have more time for my family and for implementing what I have learned.

I have been teaching since 1992, all in BC, and mostly math with some physics thrown in for fun (and because no one else would teach it at the time!).   I started the MET program because I wanted to keep my teaching fresh and relevant.  I have no plans to use this Masters degree to move into admin or to change careers/subject areas and when I first started the MET program and was reading the calendar, the description for ETEC 522 “Ventures in Learning Technologies” sounded so far out of my comfort zone that I marked it off as a course NOT to take.    And yet, here I am!  I am more than a little nervous about it, but after six MET courses, I find I am more willing to try new things and to investigate areas of educational technology that I didn’t know existed a year and a half ago.

Outside of teaching and spending time with my family, I enjoy the outdoors, gardening, jigsaw puzzles, reading and I am a crazy Canucks fan.  I was sad that they didn’t repeat a run to the finals this year, but did not miss a repeat of the stress or the amount of time consumed watching all those games last year!  And as any good Canucks fan knows, there is always next year!  The picture below was taken at a Career’s Day in our school district and Trevor Linden was the keynote speaker – and I got to introduce him!  The picture is myself, Trevor and my daughter.

I am looking forward to meeting and working with all of you,

Janet

Posted in: Uncategorized