Well done Week 9 Group! I have used mind…

Well done Week 9 Group! I have used mind mapping, fairly extensively in other courses (both Prezi and C-Map), but have not explored the Learning Theory as extensively and as eloquently as you have presented to us. So I thank you for that.

My reflection is based on how online mind mapping can be used effectively especially by those with particular learning styles. As you have demonstrated through your description that mind mapping helps us construct, assimilate, and connect meaning- critical elements that benefit all learners, mind mapping is particularly beneficial to those who learn visually, and those that learn by doing. As several colleagues have already stated; mind mapping is a personal and interactive learning experience.  The educational value of online mind mapping obviously doesn’t occur in the presentation of a completed mind map which is little more than a diagram of someone’s “self-described connections”, but rather affords the learners an opportunity to create knowledge by assimilating new knowledge with prior knowledge in a way that is meaningful to them. This raises the question of how useful collaborative mind maps may be, as many learners may feel that their mind map is watered down or compromised by allowing other members to edit or add to their mind map. With that in mind, I think that using mind maps, on a personal basis, can be very beneficial but less so when done collaboratively in a group.

David McInnes

Posted in: Week 09: Visual-Intensive Learning