WORDPRESS as a Blog

WordPress is one of the most popular open-source web applications for publishing. I have used it for my teaching since two years ago and have created 7 blogs, including my MET ePortfolio.

“7 Things You Should Know About WORDPRESS” answers the following 7 questions:

• What is it?
  • How does it work?
  • Who’s doing it?
  • Why is it significant?
  • What are the downsides?
  • Where is it going?
  • What are the implications for teaching and learning?

Educause answers each question thoroughly and neatly, so that readers understand general ideas of WordPress. What I did not like about the article is that they paid their attention to big organizations or universities that have made use of WordPress to publish essays, posts, and articles, and interact among students and faculty staff. I would like readers know that WordPress is used by many teachers in public elementary and secondary schools as well for their teachings.

For instance, I started using WordPress for my teaching 2 years ago during summer. At that time, I’d applied for the MET program and was waiting for its approval. I wanted to do some experiment on incorporating “technology tools” into classroom, so I decided to do some research on different ways I could use technologies for my teaching. While doing the research, I found a WordPress blog created by a teacher. He was using it mainly for giving students information on lessons that were done each day, homework, and quizzes/tests. Therefore, I started a blog for my summer school students.  

On “7 Things You Should Know About WORDPRESS”, it says that “it offers students the chance to write reflectively for various audiences, giving them practice in having their voices heard and their views considered by a wide variety of individuals”. Although I do agree with what it says about the implications for teaching and learning using WordPress, my main focus for creating a WordPress blog for my students wasn’t to engage them to participate in discussions.

If the article paid more attention to WordPress blogs created by individuals and provided some examples of educational blogs that are popular in WordPress, it’d have been more useful. Also, providing tips on some functions that are unique and different from other open-source web applications would be helpful. Although all 7 questions that people might frequently ask have been answered, they sounded very general and vague to me. However, if I was a reader who has never been introduced to WordPress, this 2-page article would be enough to make me interested in exploring WordPress.

Deb

Posted in: Week 02: The Edtech Marketplace