D3: on information production

Abel’s remark that one of the weaknesses of the ‘Pad – and by extension other tablets – is that it is weak on information production is particularly remarkable given that the defining feature of web 2.0 is user-produced content. If I were to fully believe his argument, then I’d be inclined to think that the ‘Pad represents a bit of a step back with regards to intertechnologies.

But I don’t – fully believe his argument, that is. Sure, the ‘Pad and other tablet devices are first and foremost app accessing machines. And whereas laptops are neatly divided between screen and keyboard space, the ‘Pad is all about the visual (or rather the haptic – that combination of the visual and tactile senses).  But it’s a really small step to simply hook the ‘Pad up to a keyboard for full ‘information producing’ experience. Meanwhile, there are lots of little stands out there that make the ‘Pad a vertical screen (rather than an in-the-lap neck-wrenching device).

However, I also want to play with and pick apart the idea of “information production” a little further. The author’s understanding of information production – as I read it – is a bit oldschool: Typing.Content. That.Endures.Somewhere (in a file… or online…) Might it not be the case that the unique human-‘Pad interaction just might change what it means to produce information (or knowledge). What one sees/touches each time one uses an app is different. (Are any two bird trajectories launched at greedy piggies ever quite the same?). The app is, de facto, interactive. It responds in realtime to the tactile input of the producer. Even if the information that is produced between the user and the ‘Pad is ephemeral – disappearing the next second – is that not still information production?

Posted in: Week 09: iPad Apps