More on information production (D3): pictures telling 1000s of words

In a previous post, I was reflecting on what constitutes information production – noting that the author we were asked to read (Abel) seemed to really equate it to textual production.

However, something struck me when I was commenting on an earlier post by Kristopher, in which he was discussing the potential use of iPads in distributed, mobile learning (in this case, peace operations): the input on iPads (specifically) isn’t only textual. It’s visual too.

iPads take photographs.

It’s obvious, but nevertheless worth mentioning, that the ‘digital explosion’ of the last 15 years or so has also been a visual one… and more to the point, a photographic one. The importance of (digital) photographs as learning devices, and as information producing and disseminating devices, shouldn’t be underestimated. (so says the erstwhile Art History lecturer!)

After all, isn’t one key facet of the iPad’s popularity its visual appeal? (or rather haptic… visual plus tactile all wrapped up into one)

How do you take and use – or manipulate (through photoshop, other software, or an old school kitchen knife) photographs in order to produce, share, and disseminate information/knowledge?

Posted in: Week 09: iPad Apps